Just so happens that today is International Women's Day. To celebrate, here's an interview with Tanya Pistillo. Not only is this rad woman into metal, she's also dedicated to creating space focused on art and community. We talk about music, live shows, running and the power of a good attitude. This is a little bit different from standard SY fare, but Tanya is incredibly inspiring and sometimes its good to take a break from the norm to get inspired.
If you live in or around Largo, FL, you can check out the gallery in person. If not, you can follow the gallery's progress through Tanya's blog at http://wanderingstargallery.com/.
PitGoddess: Hi Tanya!
Congrats on your gallery opening!
What will Wandering Star Gallery be, specifically?
Tanya Pistillo: Wandering Star Gallery will be the essence of community. It will be place where artists and
non-artists alike can come to appreciate visual art, create, meet like-minded
people who want to make a difference in the world – through music, art and
being. It will also be a place where
events will be held to celebrate art in many ways.
PG: How did you get the idea to open a gallery? What steps did you take to make the dream a reality?
TP: The idea has been in my head for many years, really for as long as I can remember. I just knew from a young age, I was different and I was not willing to be like everybody else. But the biggest factor to push me to get it done is slightly long winded. I had a career, which like most people now days, I did not like. I was just doing what I had to do to have a roof over my head. It just wasn't where I belonged. I was growing unhappy as each day passed. It seemed the more depressed with work I became, the more I would create, the more depressed I would get, then I would create more, a vicious depression cycle and I knew it had to break. Being that I am a planner and won’t make any decisions unless everything is fully planned and “do-able”, I had a very hard time making the final decision to walk away. On October 26th, 2012 I walked away from working for someone else. I walked away from pushing hard to help someone else achieve the goals and dreams while mine became farther out of reach. I knew now was the time and I needed change. I prepared by providing a one month’s notice to the company, but they “felt it was best for my creative nature to be free.” I was fine with it after the shock that I actually did it wore off. The next few months were spent creating every single day. All the days prior of just thinking of the things to create, were now in my past. I had the time now to put all of these ideas into action. I was now creating things every day, all day. I started working harder than I ever have before. My fingers were bloody and no longer soft. And I was fine with that. The art shows started to come around again, but those really aren't my cup of tea. I dislike moving things, and to pack up all that stuff and repack it to unpack it, seemed like more work than it was worth. So I kept crafting. I saw a sign at the end of my new neighborhood in downtown Largo that read, “Get your 6th annual Largo [Florida] Art Hop tickets here.” As an artist and lifelong resident of Largo, I was pissed. I had never heard about this and wanted to know more. I couldn't find anything online about it and decided to go for a walk Downtown. I stopped in every business to find out who was involved with this event. Low and behold, not one of the downtown businesses had heard of this event either. At that moment, I knew I had to open my own place where people of all backgrounds, financial status could come. It all started moving at the speed of light. This sign was only found on February 10th 2012. So, when you ask what steps I took...I literally just took a walk and communicated with people in the community.
PG: How did you get the idea to open a gallery? What steps did you take to make the dream a reality?
TP: The idea has been in my head for many years, really for as long as I can remember. I just knew from a young age, I was different and I was not willing to be like everybody else. But the biggest factor to push me to get it done is slightly long winded. I had a career, which like most people now days, I did not like. I was just doing what I had to do to have a roof over my head. It just wasn't where I belonged. I was growing unhappy as each day passed. It seemed the more depressed with work I became, the more I would create, the more depressed I would get, then I would create more, a vicious depression cycle and I knew it had to break. Being that I am a planner and won’t make any decisions unless everything is fully planned and “do-able”, I had a very hard time making the final decision to walk away. On October 26th, 2012 I walked away from working for someone else. I walked away from pushing hard to help someone else achieve the goals and dreams while mine became farther out of reach. I knew now was the time and I needed change. I prepared by providing a one month’s notice to the company, but they “felt it was best for my creative nature to be free.” I was fine with it after the shock that I actually did it wore off. The next few months were spent creating every single day. All the days prior of just thinking of the things to create, were now in my past. I had the time now to put all of these ideas into action. I was now creating things every day, all day. I started working harder than I ever have before. My fingers were bloody and no longer soft. And I was fine with that. The art shows started to come around again, but those really aren't my cup of tea. I dislike moving things, and to pack up all that stuff and repack it to unpack it, seemed like more work than it was worth. So I kept crafting. I saw a sign at the end of my new neighborhood in downtown Largo that read, “Get your 6th annual Largo [Florida] Art Hop tickets here.” As an artist and lifelong resident of Largo, I was pissed. I had never heard about this and wanted to know more. I couldn't find anything online about it and decided to go for a walk Downtown. I stopped in every business to find out who was involved with this event. Low and behold, not one of the downtown businesses had heard of this event either. At that moment, I knew I had to open my own place where people of all backgrounds, financial status could come. It all started moving at the speed of light. This sign was only found on February 10th 2012. So, when you ask what steps I took...I literally just took a walk and communicated with people in the community.
PG: You’re an artist yourself, what kinds of art do you
create?
TP: HA, I love when I am asked that question. It is truly easier to ask what I don’t do. I don’t paint. My favorite things to create really are mood driven. I enjoy re-purposing things and not like you see these Pinterest freaks redoing all the stuff they see with furniture. I mean taking the most random crap and making it artful. I sculpt vinyl records (that obviously couldn't be played due to warping or existing damage), and not the bowls that everyone else makes. I make clocks, boxes, bracelets and more. I also take hardware such as nuts and bolts, and sculpt little Tim Burton-ish freaks. I sketch a lot that is when I need to let my mind wander. I design era style clothing from Renaissance era, Victorian era, flappers and turn of the century to name a few. I also enjoy making clothing from recycled fabrics, like necktie dresses, band t-shirt blankets, pillows, and so on.
TP: HA, I love when I am asked that question. It is truly easier to ask what I don’t do. I don’t paint. My favorite things to create really are mood driven. I enjoy re-purposing things and not like you see these Pinterest freaks redoing all the stuff they see with furniture. I mean taking the most random crap and making it artful. I sculpt vinyl records (that obviously couldn't be played due to warping or existing damage), and not the bowls that everyone else makes. I make clocks, boxes, bracelets and more. I also take hardware such as nuts and bolts, and sculpt little Tim Burton-ish freaks. I sketch a lot that is when I need to let my mind wander. I design era style clothing from Renaissance era, Victorian era, flappers and turn of the century to name a few. I also enjoy making clothing from recycled fabrics, like necktie dresses, band t-shirt blankets, pillows, and so on.
PG: I've seen your
(awesome) band photos/live photos. What
has been your favorite band to shoot?
TP: Ah, this is tough. There are so many incredibly talented musicians in the world. The one thing I strongly dislike about live photography is I feel like I miss a lot of the show. I grew up on punk rock and truly the best band I ever shot was 7 Seconds. They were so energetic and they played into the camera. Back then, not many people carried cameras into venues, so they were cool. The all time favorite band that I have shot live is Yob. Mike is incredibly talented and his emotion within his music really pours out of him. His intensity is something else.
TP: Ah, this is tough. There are so many incredibly talented musicians in the world. The one thing I strongly dislike about live photography is I feel like I miss a lot of the show. I grew up on punk rock and truly the best band I ever shot was 7 Seconds. They were so energetic and they played into the camera. Back then, not many people carried cameras into venues, so they were cool. The all time favorite band that I have shot live is Yob. Mike is incredibly talented and his emotion within his music really pours out of him. His intensity is something else.
As far as promo photography, my favorite bands I have shot is also pretty tough, but Black Pyramid was great. I flew to Northampton, MA to shoot them and they were such cool guys. The conversation was always intriguing and best part is I gained a couple friends in the process.
More recent favorite promo shoot was with Generichrist. Tony Anderson is just a hellova nice guy and
really goes out of his way to make sure everything is smooth sailing. I have shot them a couple of times and the
last time was ironic. Not only did we
almost get struck by lightning, but it was a privilege for me to photograph Ed
Webb and Dave Sawyer. I shot those guys
back in the early 90’s when they played with Eulogy and was nice to see them
both again still doing what they love.
PG: What’s the best live band you’ve ever seen?
TP: This is tough. I have seen a lot of really great bands in my time. I grew up in the Tampa Bay Area and was hitting the shows in ‘89 and the early 90s when some sick bands started to emerge, like Morbid Angel, Death, Massacre, Eulogy, Cannibal, Entombed. Eulogy played an amazing show back in the day. Jason Avery really pulled the pits together and Jarrett Pritchard is just a freaking mad-man on guitar. He always did amaze me musically and as a person. He is a brilliant man.
TP: This is tough. I have seen a lot of really great bands in my time. I grew up in the Tampa Bay Area and was hitting the shows in ‘89 and the early 90s when some sick bands started to emerge, like Morbid Angel, Death, Massacre, Eulogy, Cannibal, Entombed. Eulogy played an amazing show back in the day. Jason Avery really pulled the pits together and Jarrett Pritchard is just a freaking mad-man on guitar. He always did amaze me musically and as a person. He is a brilliant man.
But as for the best live band I have seen… don’t laugh at me
now…. The Cure. I have seen them on several
occasions and they really put on a great show.
The first time I saw them was in 1984 with the B-52’s. I was 9. It changed my views of music and a lot of
other stuff. I must also say the other
band that really sticks out to me as almost a topper to The Cure is Yob. Not only are they a power house of sound and
musical emotion, but they are just down to earth, really cool, peaceful, happy,
and very thoughtful people.
PG: Does your love of metal influence other aspects of your life?
TP: Music influences a lot of aspects of my life. And I listen to such a broad spectrum of music, that I think it influences some of my better art work, my more productive moments and best friends. I have to say, if it weren’t for Cannibal in 1991, I would never have met my best friend Tony and would never be where I am today. So with that said…. YES.
PG: You’re also a badass runner/half/marathoner! What’s on your running playlist?
TP: Silence. I do not carry any music or technology of any kind when running.
PG: Does your love of metal influence other aspects of your life?
TP: Music influences a lot of aspects of my life. And I listen to such a broad spectrum of music, that I think it influences some of my better art work, my more productive moments and best friends. I have to say, if it weren’t for Cannibal in 1991, I would never have met my best friend Tony and would never be where I am today. So with that said…. YES.
PG: You’re also a badass runner/half/marathoner! What’s on your running playlist?
TP: Silence. I do not carry any music or technology of any kind when running.
For me running is a time of meditation. I actually don’t know very many people that
run in silence. But I utilize that time to be one with myself, to listen to
what my body is doing and be in harmony with myself. That time of silence is one of the fewest
moments of me time that I get and value it greatly.
PG: You’ve accomplished a lot and you’re a huge inspiration to me. What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow their own dreams?
TP: Awe, Thank you. It is humbling to hear people say that I have inspired them in some way. Thank you.
PG: You’ve accomplished a lot and you’re a huge inspiration to me. What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow their own dreams?
TP: Awe, Thank you. It is humbling to hear people say that I have inspired them in some way. Thank you.
Believe in yourself and focus. If you focus on what you want
and you want it bad enough, then go get it.
No one is going to do it for you. It will be challenging and it will be
painful. Bit it will all be worth it. There are sacrifices to make, just make
the right ones. Listen to no one but your gut.
PG: How do you continue to find inspiration?
TP: Through others. I strive to make a difference in the world with every person I speak to. I try to give others inspiration and motivation and that in turn comes back to me ten-fold when someone tells me that I have helped them in any way!
PG: Did you run into a lot of opposition? How did you silence the haters?
TG: There are always going to be “haters.” In respect of opening Wandering Star Gallery, it actually went smoothly and everything has fallen perfectly (ish) in place. All of my life I have encountered “haters”. It is only a mere reflection of themselves and I do not waste time on battling their internal battles. I silence them by not engaging. I have too many things to accomplish in my own life to worry about their insecurities or issues. I have always been different. I have always been strong and independent and a lot of people seem to have a hard time dealing with that. I just keep carrying on my journey and spend time with those that matter.
PG: What do you hope for the future of Wandering Star Gallery?
TG: I hope that first and foremost it brings the community together in some fashion. I hope that at least one person finds their creative voice within the walls of WSG. I hope that through events and programs that I am putting together, that somewhere in the world, something has shifted for the betterment of all people. It takes one person to cause change. It takes a community to keep it going. I just hope to cause the change and create the community that will keep it going.
PG: Let’s end on the most positive note. Tanya, you’re an amazing woman, runner, mother, metal head, innovator and artist. Thank you so much for your time! How do you always stay so positive?
TG: Thank you for taking the time to have a conversation with me. It is not easy for me to talk about me and moreover, hear compliments, but thank you. It really means a lot to me. I do the best that I can. How do I stay positive? Well, it isn’t always flowers and roses. I have bad days like everyone else. I wear my emotions on my sleeves and everyone around me knows that. What keeps me positive is knowing that it is harder to stay positive in society in general today. There is so much negative garbage in the world and again, I strive to always be different. People sort of expect us to be negative and I think that is bullshit. It is easier to be positive and happy and not sweat the small stuff so you feel more energized naturally. When you are negative, you are no different than anyone else at that point. Be different. Be happy! That alone can shift the world to be a better place. People like you make it a better place.
PG: How do you continue to find inspiration?
TP: Through others. I strive to make a difference in the world with every person I speak to. I try to give others inspiration and motivation and that in turn comes back to me ten-fold when someone tells me that I have helped them in any way!
PG: Did you run into a lot of opposition? How did you silence the haters?
TG: There are always going to be “haters.” In respect of opening Wandering Star Gallery, it actually went smoothly and everything has fallen perfectly (ish) in place. All of my life I have encountered “haters”. It is only a mere reflection of themselves and I do not waste time on battling their internal battles. I silence them by not engaging. I have too many things to accomplish in my own life to worry about their insecurities or issues. I have always been different. I have always been strong and independent and a lot of people seem to have a hard time dealing with that. I just keep carrying on my journey and spend time with those that matter.
PG: What do you hope for the future of Wandering Star Gallery?
TG: I hope that first and foremost it brings the community together in some fashion. I hope that at least one person finds their creative voice within the walls of WSG. I hope that through events and programs that I am putting together, that somewhere in the world, something has shifted for the betterment of all people. It takes one person to cause change. It takes a community to keep it going. I just hope to cause the change and create the community that will keep it going.
PG: Let’s end on the most positive note. Tanya, you’re an amazing woman, runner, mother, metal head, innovator and artist. Thank you so much for your time! How do you always stay so positive?
TG: Thank you for taking the time to have a conversation with me. It is not easy for me to talk about me and moreover, hear compliments, but thank you. It really means a lot to me. I do the best that I can. How do I stay positive? Well, it isn’t always flowers and roses. I have bad days like everyone else. I wear my emotions on my sleeves and everyone around me knows that. What keeps me positive is knowing that it is harder to stay positive in society in general today. There is so much negative garbage in the world and again, I strive to always be different. People sort of expect us to be negative and I think that is bullshit. It is easier to be positive and happy and not sweat the small stuff so you feel more energized naturally. When you are negative, you are no different than anyone else at that point. Be different. Be happy! That alone can shift the world to be a better place. People like you make it a better place.
Thank you again for interviewing me. It really is a pleasure to be associated with
fantastic people who want to do something with their lives, and help others. Be well!

No comments:
Post a Comment