![]() |
| Erik Wunder of Man's Gin and Cobalt |
-------------------------------------
PG: Hey Erik, thanks so much for your time. What is life like currently? Sticking to those New Year’s Resolutions?
Erik Wunder: Hey there Lindsey; first of all thank you for your support and enthusiasm and for believing in our music. It really means a lot to me when I receive such positive, meaningful response to the music.
Right now I'm living in Brooklyn New York and just going with the flow. I'm working at a bar in Williamsburg, which is the hipster capital of the US. It's kind of surreal. I love the bar I work at and the people I work with, and I like that I live one neighborhood over in a neighborhood called Bushwick, which is 4 train stops down from Williamsburg. There is graffiti everywhere and subway noises abound, but I really enjoy all the action. It's never boring here. I like making friends with the locals and living the adventurous life and all of the unknowns.
I have all kinds of New Year's resolutions. They are mostly music-oriented. I'm currently dealing with possible live Cobalt performances this spring as well as writing new material for Man's Gin and sorting out the next Cobalt record. I'm certainly a busy character around here-all in accordance with the great magnet.
PG: “Smiling Dogs” has been on my rotation since it debuted- what kinds of responses did you get from the album?
EW: Smiling Dogs seems to have had a really great affect on a certain demographic. It was kind of risky to release that record on a metal label like Profound Lore Records because most of the releases Chris does are heavy, intense metal albums. I think the album has a unique way of being heavy without distorted guitars all of the time. I like to experiment with different mediums, and Man's Gin is an open-ended idea to where there are no holds barred. It's all about rhythm and feeling. I think a song like Nuclear Ambition Pt. 2 is just as driving and intense as any great metal song, and I like to try to translate that into a different approach and see what happens. Too many people are all caught up on ' well the guitars aren't distorted and the drums aren't fast'. I like to try to hide the heaviness.
Smiling Dogs got positive reviews in the magazines, and I'm really proud of it. We had 'song of the day' on NPR early on in '11 and the press was generally enthusiastic about the record. I like throwing a curve ball at everything and seeing what happens. I remember reading an early interview with Chris Bruni (Profound Lore connoisseur and owner) where he said he wanted to release anything from death metal to Nick Cave or Tom Waits, and that's what I like about Smiling Dogs. It has the same spirit but played through different instruments. Diversity is very important to me.
PG: I think SD was on my rotation because it fit in with however I was feeling, it’s really a fucking transformative album, I’d say. Was it your goal to write something for all seasons, so to speak?
EW: That's a great compliment. Thank you. The record turned out that way as a result of me bringing my songs to NY and then writing a couple new ones here. It was a long process of believing in something and then waiting patiently until it actually happened while adding color throughout the process. Smiling Dogs is basically my coming from Colorado and those initial songs that I wrote with my friend Clint in our house in Fort Collins to New York and making the dream happen with my band mates here. The adaption of the songs in the New York environment added a certain spice and identity to the sound. I believe that in order to get original results you have to be curious and adventurous and go out and live it first-hand. It's the same way with any good book or anything truly original really. You have to put yourself in a real-life position if you're going to have an accurate interpretation of it.
PG: I definitely hear a Dax Riggs-ish influence on your music, are you a fan? What other artists inspire you musically?
EW: Oh yeah, all the way. I love what Dax Riggs has done post-Acid Bath. The step that he took to explore new avenues of music certainly inspired me to take on a fearless approach toward new sounds. That's what partially inspired me to start working in different genres besides metal. I was already doing the Cobalt thing, but I needed to go to a different place to escape from that and start new ideas. I write Cobalt songs based on rhythm shifts and guitar riffs, whereas with Man's Gin it's all about interplay between lyrics, melodies, and guitar harmonies. So I feel like the two balance each other very nicely. Both bands are great vehicles in their own way.
That said, I like Bonnie Prince Billy a great deal. I also gather a lot of influence from characters like Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Swans/Jarboe/Michael Gira, as well as Iggy Pop, Dead Kennedys, and Neurosis. I try to blend as much as I can and see what happens.
PG: Your new album is supposed to come out this year- what should fans expect from the new tunes?
EW: The new record is shaping up nicely so far. Everyone can expect another step forward basically. The new tunes are slightly more complex, and we're discovering new sounds throughout the process. There will be more intense moments and elaborate song structures, as well as moments of total raw simplicity. It's going to be very diverse and powerful and real. We're all (as a band) getting older, and we really have no fear of boundaries, so we're going to push it as far as we can. It's going to be more rock n roll than Smiling Dogs. More fierce. More in your face. Taking risks, you know?
PG: I read in another interview you love a good murder ballad- do you have any cooking for the new record? What goes into writing a murder ballad?
EW: Well it's always good to incorporate a lot of angst and brooding, haha. Ah, I feel like music needs that aggressive, in-your-face danger to be powerful. I like music that leaves its mark. I also feel like a lot of music these days is too safe, so I like to try to be as dangerous as possible. It's good to hide an ominous message in a catchy melody to where the average listener is simply hearing this infectious tune that is actually about something cryptic. I like that dichotomy.
And to answer your question: Yes, there is a nice little murder ballad on the next record. It's nice and wholesome and violent at the same time. Like 'Hey Joe' or something.
PG: Do you plan on doing any tours or shows for the new album?
EW: Certainly. We play out a lot here in NY, so we'll see what happens with the live situation when the next record comes out. We played with Dax Riggs last month again, and those guys expressed an interest in doing some east coast dates this year. We'll see. I always like to play out live.
PG: What’s next for Cobalt?
EW: We're currently working on our next album Slow Forever. There may be a live Cobalt show or two later on this year as well, so keep your ears peeled :)
PG: I creepily stalked your facebook (I’m not above that…) and saw you liked Curb your Enthusiasm. What’s your most awkward Larry David-esque moment?
EW: Oh man, well living in New York there are all kinds of hilariously frustrating things that happen all the time…clarifying with the deli sandwich guy 8 times that you want turkey and not ham. Interesting conversations with cab drivers. I can't think of any one specific story right now, but it is a crazy circus of a life that I lead, haha. I do love Curb Your Enthusiasm though. I've also been checking out some very funny British comedy shows like The Mighty Boosh and That Mitchell and Web Look. I recommend them to everyone.
PG: What albums are you most looking forward to in 2012?
EW: The new Neurosis and High on Fire records are right there at the top. I also read in the recent Decibel issue that Black Sabbath will be recording a new record with the original lineup. Sign me up for that one!
PG: One last thing- what band should everyone be listening to right now?
EW: I've been jamming a lot of Cop Shoot Cop and Acid Bath lately. Not necessarily current stuff; I think people should be listening to whatever they want. The new Tom Waits album is awesome by the way; I've been rocking that one too.
PG: Thanks so much for your time- anything you’d like to add?
No problem Lindsey! Thank you so much for the interview! It is always a great feeling to know that there are like-minded people out there. You just have to find them, you know? Gin and sin-
Erik W.

No comments:
Post a Comment