Thursday, January 19, 2012

Charleston's Hooded Eagle!

Meet Lynn.  Hooded Eagle Frontman
Hooded Eagle is a heavy, riff-y doom-y band from Charleston, SC.  I had the pleasure of meeting them at Orlandooom's first You Are Doomed Fest.  If you're into the low and slow, check em out!

Hello, Lynn!  What is the band currently up to?  Sticking to those New Year’s resolutions?

Lynn
: We've been working on writing music for splits/EPs that we hope to release someday, as well as going through the first steps of recording two albums.
Where did the name “Hooded Eagle” come from?

It's a song from the [Ian Gillan-produced] only album by a badass 70s band called Jerusalem.
What sorts of things inspire you guys to write music?

I tend to try to write music that either sounds evil as shit or overly sad. We're a really riff-oriented band, so it ends up coming together through each of us writing riffs at home, then coming in and bouncing 'em off each other... We all end up working together and writing every song together, which I think works out really well.
Being a relatively new band, what are some of the obstacles you guys face in this business?
Well, it's a bit daunting coming into the world and trying to present it with something like this. I know there's no glory in extreme metal. The best you can hope for is enough money for gas to get to the next city and food if you're lucky. If we're consistent and lucky, then a decade or so down the line we'll be hopefully able to afford to live off what we do.

It's a tough thing to wrap your head around after seeing the 80s with its army of tour busses hauling metal band after metal band from city to city...

You guys have played shows all over the Southeast.  Which city has been your favorite and why?
I'm gonna go with Asheville, NC. It's a beautiful city nestled in the middle of the mountains, and we got to play the courtyard of a cafe during a big arts festival...the energy was awesome, and the city was jaw-dropping.  As far as shows and venues, we played a tattoo shop in St. Augustine which I thought was fucking awesome

Is there really such a thing as Southern Hospitality?

I've honestly never left the South, so I have nothing to compare it to...

Are there plans for more releases in your near future?
Yeah, we're actually working on tracking our first LP and are about to go into a different studio to start work on a second LP with a different producer. It's pretty exciting.

You get signed to a label of your choice and can choose your own tour- which label and bands do you pick?
Southern Lord. Can we make a Thorr's Hammer reunion tour happen for this scenario?

Who, in your opinion, are the most over/underrated metal acts at this moment?
VA's The Osedax and Florence SC's Heathen Bastard.

Which albums are you looking forward to in 2012?  What’s the one album we should all get?
I don't actually own a computer or an ipod or anything, so I have no idea who's putting out music at any point in time.

Where can we see you next?  Where can we get merch and stuff?
You can catch us at Jimbo's Rock Lounge [Charleston] on Feb. 24 with Black Tusk and Wolf Lord.

Do you have anything you’d like to add?  I’d like to thank you so much for your time!
No, thank YOU, Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment