Thursday, August 11, 2022

Why You Should Be a Poll Worker This (and Every) Election

 Why You Should Be a Poll Worker This (and Every) Election

Being a poll worker restored my faith in humanity.

A little bit anyway. 

Full disclosure: I live in blue town, blue state. It is so blue that the Board can struggle to find registered Rs and Is to staff polling places. We have a well-funded, no-nonsense Board of Elections. Although our primaries and local government races are absolutely blood-thirsty and contentious, we don't have election-deniers (although this year's Governor race will change that, I am sure). 

No one shows up with guns to threaten voters of color. We don't have 10 hour long lines that form as a result of states restricting early voting, mail ballots, and reducing the number of polling places. We have no-excuses mail ballots and locked drop boxes all over the place. 

We have the support of the Board, an easy-to-reach and well-staffed hotline. 

And most of all, most crucially, an engaged citizenry that signs up to work the polls, allowing for better-staffed precincts (that move voters through faster!). 

I think our model for elections is great and should be replicated.

In any case: 

If you want to do something to slightly restore your faith in humanity and actually serve the democratic process: be a poll worker. 

Like many others, I opted to be a poll worker in 2020 because I couldn't bear the thought of sitting around all day and doom-scrolling. Even as the threats and fears ramped up, I remained steadfast in my desire to work that day. 

Initially, I signed up to be a driver, hauling ballots and receipt paper and stickers around the county. Instead I was promoted to election judge, and finally chief judge, which meant I'd be half-in-charge of a whole voting center.

(In 2020, our county had voting centers, so anyone could come anywhere and vote their correct ballot. It was a lot of work on the front end, but I think it made it easier for people to vote and I hope they'll adopt this model in the future.) 

I had no clue what to expect, shuffling through the massive book the Board gave out. The mandatory Chief Briefing was full of people asking specific questions about how to reply to claims of election fraud, what to do if armed people came to polling places, what to do if someone is belligerent and won't leave...

It was enough to rattle anyone.

Thankfully, my co-chief was experienced and even-keeled, and we got through the day without incident and COVID-free.

As a chief, you're responsible for everything: making sure everything is set up properly, making sure the judges are doing their jobs properly, reporting in to the Board, doing all the paperwork mand making sure everything is balanced, printing reports, and of course- everyone's safety. 

And while chiefs do get extra training, it's really not much more than the standard judge training. 

(Don't let this scare you: the directions are relatively clear. Ours have pictures and flowcharts. If you can read and follow directions and refrain from talking about your personal politics for a day, you can be a judge or a chief judge. 

And if the flowchart fails, you have another chief to consult with, and a Board to call that will direct you.)

I think the most eventful activities of 2020 were: having multiple officers outside of each precinct, and having a few voters very LOUDLY announce who they're voting for. Knock yourself out. Vote it up. 

I didn't even have to shoo anyone out of the no-electioneering zone.

I returned for the primaries, this time taking on the lead chief role, and I expect to do the same for the midterms. 

Yeah, it's an extra responsibility, yeah it is a brutally long day (5:45am-11 pm ish). So why bother? 

1. I learned SO MUCH about elections. If you ever wanted to debunk someone's nonsense, or if you're skeptical about the process yourself, become a poll worker. You will learn the ins and outs of how it all works and see that it's damn near impossible to rig an election (spoiler: you'd basically need everyone at every level of the election, all the way up to the Secretary of State to be in on it). 

Do mistakes happen? Yes. Could a bad actor or two slip in? Perhaps. Maybe? But are there enough glaring holes to create massive fraud? Absolutely not. 

2. I met neighbors I wouldn't have met otherwise. Whether they were also poll workers or came in to vote, I met dozens of people I wouldn't have ordinarily met and had meaningful conversations with them. It's pretty rare that there are a bunch of people from your community sitting around. Our provisional voting expert is a retired musician. My fellow chief is a Peruvian immigrant and shared with me how he learned English. One of our judges was a nurse who hosts pop-up clinics for uninsured and unhoused patients.

I even lined up a new job- no joke. 

It's an easy way to actually meet people from the community and be reminded that real, kind, hard-working people do live here and they give a shit too. 

3. There's a lot of joy. Again- this is my very privileged experience, so others' milage may vary.  

People come in genuinely excited to vote. Parents bring their kids. One parent brought in his maybe four or five year old, and explained to him what each role did with such a sweet patience, it nearly moved me to tears (maybe it was exhaustion). Another parent brought in his adult child with CP, and explained how important it was to them that they vote in every election. A woman with Down syndrome was so proud to cast her ballot and showed off her I Voted sticker. Teenagers came ready, voting for the first time for school board reps. We had two new American immigrants, excitedly explaining it was their first elections as citizens. Lots of folks are *happy* to be there. 

People cheer when there's a first time voter. 

Even though the elections are VERY high stakes, election day is about community. 

All kinds of people come in and share how important and meaningful it is for them to vote. They're trusting you, as the poll worker, to guide them through the process of casting their sacred ballot. 

It's really special.

It's a great way to give back to your community (in my county, it pays a small stipend). It's a LONG day, but it's so worthwhile.

Every single county in America needs poll workers in order to smoothly operate precincts. 


Check with your Board of Elections to see what the requirements are!*
*In my county, you do an online course, an in-person course, and two additional courses for Chiefs. There are morning, evening, and weekend slots to fit a variety of schedules. 

Learn the process, meet your neighbors (maybe get a new job!), and experience people genuinely, truly excited to vote: be a poll worker! 



No comments:

Post a Comment