Monday, May 15, 2017

Day 16: 30 Days of Words


Day 16: 30 Days of Words
LETS MAKE A ZINE TOGETHER

I went to a cool gallery exhibit closing this weekend. A friend opened a gallery and his exhibit highlighted beautiful, action-filled shots of punk and hardcore bands from DC/by DC photographers.
They talked zines, shows, beatdowns, all kinds of shit.

It reminded me of when I made my own metal mag (@scrapyardmagazine!) for fun. I interviewed my friends, reviewed cool albums, even splurged on printing and shipping costs to mail zines out to my friends around the world. I did it because, well, I did secretly think one day I'd start my own magazine (which, I did, but on a vastly different topic)...but I loved doing it most of all.

I feel like the internet has sort of paralyzed my creativity. I used to take photos of bands, go on photo walks, do creative shit just for fun. Now it seems like our creative shit has to "mean something" and "be original." Why put together a zine if you can't sell it for a profit? Why shoot photos if you aren't going to sell prints? Why make art because I am TERRIBLE at it, although I find it insanely relaxing and quieting for my anxious hamster mind. Why bother with a blog or a zine because ITS ALL BEEN DONE GOD JUST GOOGLE IT.

It's almost the opposite of option paralysis. It's "why bother" paralysis. There's a million blogs and zines and photos and art and stuff out that's been done and been done better than my ability.

But, to hell with it.

Let's collab on a zine. I'm looking for 8-10 people with some free time, some desire to create (with no worries about what's 'good'), and a few bucks to chip in.

I'll start it off, put together blank pages, and get it started. I'll mail it to the next person. Each person can add some pages, and mail it on with in 3-4 days of receipt.

(Short deadline to motivate and ensure it moves along. Please take some pictures of your pages, in case the hard copy gets lost in the mail.)

Once the zine gets back to me, I'll make color copies for everyone as a thanks. I'm asking for a few bucks for copies and return mailing.

The theme, inspired by the Kusama exhibit that's given me joy the last to weeks:


COLOR. 

Everything else is up to you. Claim your pages via an email to the blog, comment, or via Twitter @turnbullet666.  (Due to high shipping costs and time, USA only for the time being.)

No comments:

Post a Comment