Monday, March 24, 2014

RIP Dave Brockie

I've been incredibly saddened by the passing of Dave Brockie, aka Oderus.  I can't stop writing words about it.  It's not that I knew the man personally (although several of my friends did), it's that some of the greatest experiences I had were because of people I met through GWAR.

Anyway, here's some words I wrote about it.  For a man who was the source of a lot of jokes and crudeness, there hasn't been a single negative word posted about him today, only lots of love.  Let's take that positive influence with us.

When someone like Dave Brockie (or Flattus or Jeff Hanneman or Ronnie James Dio) dies, it is of course, tragic and heartbreaking. Not only are we losing talented musicians, but also people whose work shaped and influenced our daily lives, our music, our friendships. But we can also reflect back on all the wonderful people we've met through the tunes, in the pits, at the shows and that parties. I know that that music has been the soundtrack to my life and so many, many, wonderful things happened with Gwar or Slayer or Dio playing in the background.

Someone's influence stretches past music or social commentary or a ridiuclous live show complete with giant fake penises. We influence each other every single day. You know Dave was a good and influential man because social media has blown up with regret and sadness. Be kind to one another, because your influence is far reaching.


GWAR was one of those bands I always made sure to see if they stopped through, regardless of who else was on the bill. GWAR is one of those bands people trace their lives through, because everyone saw them 5000 times. Losing a member of Gwar is like losing a good friend who came around, fucked up your day and left you happier for it. I always, always left completely covered in goop, smiling and with a handful of new friends. Thanks for your humor, thanks for your persona, thanks for sharing it with us. See you on the other side, ScumDog.


No comments:

Post a Comment