Friday, February 14, 2014

An Accidental Stoner Metal Guide to Valentine's Day

As I was sending Kyuss songs back and forth with a friend, I realized we'd inadvertently come up with the almost perfect stoner metal Valentine's Day playlist.  And a mostly JOhn Garcia-based one at that.

So, as you're getting ready to take your sweetie out, or you're flying solo tonight, throw on these super mellow love-based jams and get weird.  There's something for the lovesick, the horny, the bitter and the hard to get, so check it out.

Hermano- Let's Get it On.  A very raunchy version of John Garcia, of Kyuss fame.

Acid Bath- Scream of the Butterfly. Any man attempting to woo me must do so with gratuitous use of Acid Bath. In the twisted minds of LA's Sammy Duet and Dax Riggs, this is a love song.  Maybe Paegan Love Song is the obvious answer, but I did that last year.

Kyuss- Deadly Kiss. For the bitter Valentine.

Sons of Kyuss- King. For the Valentine who plays hard to get. "You say you love me/well prove it to me/ cause I'll never say it to you." (Note: I do not advocate being in this type of relationship...guess I'll never date John Garcia.  But I will let him serenade me.)

Queens of the Stone Age- Wanna Make it Wit Chu. A very sensual Josh Homme is self-explanatory and mandatory.

Nebula- I Need Somebody.  For when you need someone- anyone.

Sons of Kyuss- Window of Souls.  When you need your girl near you.

Goatsnake- Easy Greasy.  Pete Stahl's voice is as hypnotizing as John Garcia's.  That's reason enough alone to add it to this list.  But whoa, this is actually a totally sweet love song. I wanna roar into oblivion, damn it.

Unida- Black Woman. It's good to hear John Garcia in luuuuurve.

Acid Bath/Agents of Oblivion- Dead Girl/Dead Girl 2000.  Again, I think this is a love song in the mind of Dax Riggs.

Type O Negative- Love You to Death. This isn't a stoner metal jam, obviously.  But it's super metal and no metal Valentine's Day is complete without this tune.  It'd be like Halloween without five thousand Misfits cover bands.


Lemmy fea.t Dave Lombardo- Stand By Me. Ben E. King's classic romantic tune gets a very metal twist.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment