We're here to chat about straight up heavy metal, drummers and dream-come-true fests with Drew Rizzo, drummer of Midnite Hellion
PG:
Hey Happy New Years, Hellions! Do you have any band resolutions for this
year? Did you make any personal resolutions?
MH: Happy New Year to you too, Lindsey,
and to all at Scrapyard Magazine! Band
resolutions include playing more often and in front of bigger masses, and upon
release of our full-length, we hope to travel to the other side of the pond for
touring! My personal resolutions are to actually
stick with a diet and exercise plan so I can get healthier and to keep the Hellion
fire burning even stronger!
PG: You recently released a single Hour of the Wolf. How has that been received?
MH: Most excellent! In conjunction with our record label, Witches Brew, and our PR company, Clawhammer PR, we have all been able to get the release to a much larger audience than ever before. Nearly everybody who has heard the new single has only praised it, and sales have been beyond our expectations. The first week alone moved about 20% of the stock, having now largely tapped into the Japanese market, which has been relatively small for us in the past, with significantly increased European and US sales as well. We just can’t wait to get to reconnect with all of our current supporters, meet all of our new supporters face to face, and deliver the goods to all of them live!
PG: How would you describe your sound?
MH: All things Heavy Metal! I’d say our sound features a strong
foundation of Traditional Heavy Metal with a healthy mixture of Thrash Metal
and Speed Metal on top with a light dusting of early Death Metal. Honestly, when we write, we do not scrap any
idea just because it does not fit within certain confines, and all of us listen
to a very diverse catalogue of music in general, even outside of the Metal
realm. I feel that our variety of
influences shine within each song one way or another.
PG: It seems like you’ve had a line-up change between recordings. What do
your new singer, PJ and your new guitarist, Nick bring to the table?
MH: PJ executes the songs the way they should have always sounded, having brought the elements of style, class, and versatility to the helm. As PJ is also rooted more in the older styling of Metal, her vocals add the right touch to the music, making it more of a cohesive package. We got very lucky with Nick, as he’s not only a quick learner and has maximum adaptability, but he also adds his own signature stamp to everything he does. While he also loves Metal from the glory days, he is more in-tune with the modern bands on the Metal scene than we are, so it is refreshing to have that approach coming in to blend with the old. Both are writers as well, so we are able to keep with the consistency of all five members contributing to both the musical and lyrical writing process.
PG: Also saw you guys are playing Ragnarökkr Metal Apocalypse Festival, which is awesome! How did that happen? Are you looking forward to sharing the stage with any bands in particular?
MH: Hell yes, this show is beyond our wildest
dreams! One of the organizers, Bob
Byrne, and I have been in touch since the end of 2012, as we were attempting to
participate in the 2013 edition of the festival. Due to lineup issues at that time, we were
unfortunately unable to confirm. We secured
both Nick and PJ when they were booking for the 2014 edition, so I got in touch
with Bob and he invited us to participate!
I’m looking forward to sharing the stage with all of the bands, but most
of all are Hallows Eve and especially Grim Reaper. Both have been favorites since I was a kid,
and I never thought that the Reaper would ever tour the States again, as they
last appeared over here in 1987, so three dreams are coming true that weekend
for me. First is playing Chicago, second
is opening for Grim Reaper, and third is actually seeing Grim Reaper live!!
PG: You and I met on the 70K Tons of Metal cruise, how did you get involved in that? What was your experience like last year?
MH: Believe it or not, it’s always been a dream
to be a professional backline technician.
Our mutual friend, Marie, had posted about the Volunteer committee
online, and having been absent from it for many years, I wanted to
reconnect. The event itself was beyond
my expectations and it was a great amount of fun to meet new friends and
reconnect with old ones. The hours were
long and I only had a chance to snap one photograph while in Turks and Cacaos
before boarding again, but nonetheless, it was great as I got to work for and
see a lot of excellent bands, some of which had performed special setlists just
for the cruise. I ran into a member of
one of the bands that I had worked for shortly after the cruise, and he had
said that he wished it was two weeks instead of five days as he had so much
fun! From a working standpoint, I think
you’d agree that the staff would have probably all died from exhaustion and
malnourishment if that were to happen!
PG: Which Midnite Hellion show was your favorite to play?
MH: It’s difficult to pinpoint just one, but I’d
have to say that in recent times our most recent show was overall just such a
fun night. It was a hometown Trenton
show back in November opening for Toxic Holocaust, In Defence, and Ramming
Speed, and every band on the bill delivered the goods, but also, our
performance went over extremely well and the Hellion faithful were out in
full-force. It was also recorded for an
upcoming live release called “Bitchin’ At Champs,” which is being released on
cassette on our friend Jon Norberg’s label, Contaminated Tones.
PG: Since you’re the founding member, and a drummer, was it easy to form a band? I always feel like it’s the hardest to find competent drummers!
MH: It was surprisingly easy to form the band and
even securing new members when old ones exited wasn’t too difficult of a task,
looking back at it now. As this is been
one of many bands that I’ve built from the ground up over the years, I’d have
to say that finding a competent singer was the most difficult, but when I was
in a Death Metal band as a teen, finding a competent bassist was the
hardest! I think it really boils down to
finding people who are on the same page in terms of goals and outlook which can
be the hardest, as in my experience not many people maintain the same goals and
drive throughout their tenure with a band.
PG: Does MH have plans to release new music in 2014?
MH: Yes, first and foremost will be the live
cassette that I mentioned previously.
While it does not contain any new material, it’s a fun representation of
the band. With regards to new material,
we have already started preproduction on our full-length album, which is
tentatively scheduled to be released on Witches Brew in the late spring or
early summer of this year. While many
details currently cannot be disclosed, I can say that we plan to include 8 or 9
songs out of 14 that have been written for the album, and new recordings of
both songs from our latest single, “Hour Of The Wolf” and “The Morrigan,” will
be included.
PG: Where can people find out more about your band?
MH: Our home base is at http://www.midnitehellion.com, where
one can find all things Hellion, including all confirmed upcoming shows,
merchandise, news, photos, and other goodies.
Come join the fun and interact with us at http://www.facebook.com/midnitehellion,
http://www.twitter.com/midnitehellion,
and http://www.reverbnation.com/midnitehellion. Also, we have video footage from nearly every
performance hosted at http://www.youtube.com/midnitehellion
and http://www.youtube.com/strunza. Those wishing to receive breaking information
as it happens can join our mailing list by sending an e-mail to contact@midnitehellion.com, simple
as that!
PG: Thanks for your time Drew, any last words?
PG: Thanks for your time Drew, any last words?
MH: Thank you, Lindsey, for taking the time to
conduct the interview and for the support, and I’ll see you in a few weeks on
the cruise! People like you that grease
the gears of the Metal Machine keep the Heavy Metal scene alive and well! Thanks to everybody who has supported Midnite
Hellion since day one, and we hope to see you all very soon. Keep the flames of Heavy Metal burning
strong!

No comments:
Post a Comment