![]() |
| Tara as a cretin for Return to Nuke Em High |
PitGoddess: Hi Tara!
I am so excited for your movie Return
to Nuke Em High Volume I! How did
you come to be involved with Troma Entertainment, a revered horror empire?
Tara
Miller: Hi! Thank you! We’ve worked very hard on it, and are incredibly excited
to show the world what we’ve created! I
became involved in this film the conventional way: I went and auditioned. And
auditioned. And auditioned. I only went subsequent to my friend Justin Morales’
prompting though; admittedly, I didn’t think I had a shot at making it in a
Troma film, since I’ve never done any other professional film work, just
theater. Justin was interning over at Troma, and deemed me to be an appropriate
candidate. Despite being nervous as all hell, I sucked it up, and went in, in
some weird witch outfit, I remember. I composed and delivered my own monologue,
and I guess they were really digging it because I got like, one of the only
on-the-spot call backs. It was a pretty
stupid monologue, looking back. The audition process was rigorous, but following
my last audition, when they pulled me aside, shook my hand, and congratulated
me on getting the role…it was the MOST incredible sensation .
PG: Can you tell
us a little bit about your role?
TM: I play a CRETIN; essentially, a savage, mutant street metal bitch from Hell. I got to dart around in ridiculous war paint, wielding weaponry, draped in fake blood, whilst terrorizing two beautiful girls with our gang of toxic waste-ridden degenerates… a total blast. Playing the bad guy is always fun! In terms of the narrative, my character, joined by five other super geeks, are all members of the Glee Club— until we viciously transform into Cretins in an EPIC meltdown scene, following our consumption of toxic food!!
TM: I play a CRETIN; essentially, a savage, mutant street metal bitch from Hell. I got to dart around in ridiculous war paint, wielding weaponry, draped in fake blood, whilst terrorizing two beautiful girls with our gang of toxic waste-ridden degenerates… a total blast. Playing the bad guy is always fun! In terms of the narrative, my character, joined by five other super geeks, are all members of the Glee Club— until we viciously transform into Cretins in an EPIC meltdown scene, following our consumption of toxic food!!
Yes,
my character viciously growls, is rather unnerving aesthetically, and behaves
like a spine-slaughtering barbarian, but she’s TOTALLY goofy and DEFINITELY a
great deal of FUN! In genuine Troma fashion, she’s larger-than-life, she’s humorous
and she’s overdone. Return to Nuke ‘Em
High is made in the vein of 80’s films, so though it’s over-the-top,
bloody, campy, comical and charming, it’s still extending profound messages to
the observant viewer; it’s jam packed with social commentary. I tried to poke
some anodyne funs at metalheads with my role: with some of my exaggerated actions,
posing at random moments, disproportionately muddled, excessive makeup, spasmodic,
outlandish barking; it’s silly and meant to be satirical. Metal is cheesy,
horror is cheesy…and cheesy is NOT a bad thing. Cheesy is AMAZING and a fun
ride! Lloyd Kaufman entrusted me with a great deal of creative control over my
character, one of the many reasons Troma is extraordinary; I designed my own
clothes (sometimes unflattering, yes; all those belts squeezed me like a
sausage. BUT my character is NOT meant to be a horror hottie, ha!), I also applied
my own makeup, etc. Very fulfilling!
PG: Before you joined the cast, did you ever
think you would be in a Troma flick?
What were you doing before you auditioned?
TM: My
first thought: “I grew up watching Troma films, and now I was going to BE in
one!!!” I remember when I received the role; I immediately dashed outside the
building, frenziedly sparked up a cigarette, hastily dialed my mom, cried
ferociously (I am a GIGANTIC sappy mush) and gallivanted around a couple blocks
of NYC, all the while squawking like a feral cat. Two of my best friends
happened to accompany me to that audition, so it was meant to be, as I could
share this INCREDIBLE moment with them. I am eternally indebted to casting
directors Chelsea Holland and Eric Sanders, alongside Lloyd Kaufman and the
whole Troma team for giving me my first chance; they identified a ravenous
sparkle in my eye, and could detect the blazing vigor housed in my heart!
![]() |
| Cretins! |
PG: Obviously you blasted tons of
punk and metal while you were filming!
What are some of your favorite bands?
TM: I am not so sure I have “favorites,” as there are SO many! I do spend increments of time obsessing over a band, or a certain album, to the point where it’s all I listen to – I think that’s to really absorb the potency of the music, and it allows me to really become enveloped by the band’s atmosphere. I get REALLY fanatical with bands I revere. And I owe a HUGE thank you to my best friend, partner in crime, horror aficionado, metal expert, literary enthusiast, self-proclaimed weirdo, and sister of the moon – Ms. Gabrielle Rocha – for her FANTASTIC musical influence!!! She has shown me A LOT of killer stuff!!
TM: I am not so sure I have “favorites,” as there are SO many! I do spend increments of time obsessing over a band, or a certain album, to the point where it’s all I listen to – I think that’s to really absorb the potency of the music, and it allows me to really become enveloped by the band’s atmosphere. I get REALLY fanatical with bands I revere. And I owe a HUGE thank you to my best friend, partner in crime, horror aficionado, metal expert, literary enthusiast, self-proclaimed weirdo, and sister of the moon – Ms. Gabrielle Rocha – for her FANTASTIC musical influence!!! She has shown me A LOT of killer stuff!!
But,
for what it’s worth, here are some of the classic that I’ve loved since I was a
little ghoul (with the newer bands posing as an exception, as I’ve obviously
gotten into them more recently, comparatively speaking): Slayer, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Bathory,
Hellhammer, Bulldozer, Warfare, Sarcafago, Venom, Voivod, Acid Witch, Midnight,
Death Breath, Cianide, Autopsy, Death,
Pestilence, Obituary, Bolt Thrower,
Death Strike, Master, Onslaught, Acid, Witchfynde, Exciter, Witchfinder
General, Satan, Witch Cross, OZ, Carnivore, Aura Noir, Nihilist, Sadistic
Intent, Pungent Stench, Repugnant, Malignancy, Nifelheim, Excoriate,
Hemorrhage, Power from Hell, Misfits, Samhain, Angry Samoans, GBH, Black Flag,
Chaos UK, Nausea, Doom, Dayglo Abortions, Adicts, Syphilitic Vaginas, Children
of Technology, Aus Rotten, Infest, Inepsy, Whipstriker, Nekrofilth,
Hellbastard……………….
PG: Is there any metal on the soundtrack? If you could pick three bands to score the flick, which would you choose?
TM: I sure hope so! We’ll see. But hypothetically, I would have Slasher Dave score it. He’s SO talented, and a wonderful person on top of it. I predict most people involved in the “metal scene” would recognize him for his Halloween Metal project ACID WITCH, but he also creates KILLER scores. Those who listen to AW are usually able to detect his love for movie soundtracks, and horror’s influence on his ideas, aesthetic, style, and execution.
If I could pick 3 bands: Motorhead, Warfare,
and GBH. Those bands would DEFINITELY fit the atmosphere of the cretin
sequences. Speed metal and old school punk speak to the ESSENCE of the cretin;
primitive, raw, feral and TO THE POINT! As my best friend Gab would say, “grab
your crotch and spit on the ground kind of music!” Tunes that have balls, but
aren’t crowded with unnecessary clutter.
For
some of the other parts, I think the Cramps, Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy would
be PERFECT!
But
also, I’m weird when it comes to soundtracks! I absolutely LOVE when there are
these quirky juxtapositions – like when the music doesn’t match up with the
atmosphere of the scene; if done correctly, it’s GENIUS! For an easily
identifiable example, the opening music for Cannibal Holocaust! The melody is
so serene and tranquilly jovial, which is an effective contrast to the
brutality and ruthlessness of the narrative! The result: haunting and creepy!
PG: How long have you been
interested in horror/gore movies and heavy metal?
TM: I was raised by a mother who is a film FANATIC, so horror has always been a
part of my life. Halloween is my dad’s favorite horror film, and my mom
introduced me to heaps of 50s, 60s, 70s
horror, old Hammer films, everything and anything with Vincent Price, tons of
Twilight Zone, and lots of Alfed Hitchcock.
In
terms of music, I grew up on a lot of old school punk, Batcave era stuff (new
wave, post-punk, goth, darkwave, etc…), psychedelic rock, and classic rock,
because of my parents; their influence definitely lent a hand in cultivating my
musical preferences! I started getting REALLY into punk at age 12/13, with a
couple of my middle school classmates, and a year later, we found metal! I
remember my love for more abrasive music was fueled by feeling disgusted toward
some portions of the intrinsic human condition; I always have been an individual
who places great emphasis on morality, so seeing people mistreat each other,
and seeing that the world was VERY flawed for the first time…music aided me to
cope with these frustrations.
My
interest in punk and metal was synonymous with a philosophical maturity of
sorts. I started reading a number of metaphysical texts (I was always a
literary enthusiast), developing my own views in regards to the purpose of
life, which subsequently translated into an attempt to define the point of my
own existence. I became particularly interested in examining how societal norms
influence our understanding and implementation of this alleged purpose. As I
observed how western civilization often functions, I was perplexed as to why,
upon entrance into the “real world,” most people would forgo their passions,
trading them for something that would provide security. I didn’t understand how
when we’re young, we’re taught to embrace our passions, yet with supposed
physical growth and intellectual maturity, we’re expected to submit and
sacrifice what we love. “That’s life,” I was told. I wasn’t happy with that
answer. Ever since then, I promised myself that would NOT be my life, and have
devoted all my efforts into ensuring this. I didn’t want to turn into a zombie
drone; another mechanically-wired piece of machinery with no soul and no fire
in their veins; another creature who becomes bitter and resentful because they
wished they HAD lived their life differently.
My
experience with Troma has affirmed, you don’t have to be that way.
PG: You filmed in an abandoned funeral home- the perfect atmosphere to film a Troma classic! Did you have any paranormal experiences?
TM: Yes. Phantasm. That’s all I’ll say. Wow, I’m so cryptic and mysterious.
PG: What was the late night snack of choice on set?
TM: Baked chicken from that day’s meal of baked chicken, and we had baked chicken essentially every day, so lots of baked chicken, because of all the baked chicken. Faygo. And tons of coffee, of corpse. Candy. Energy drinks. You’d see lots of chips, chocolate, apples, and McDonald’s, too. Sometimes we’d all get pizza. I ate a lot of Mexican food, personally. Needless to say, I spent my fair share of hours in the shittank. And then…you’d have your weirdo’s who were eating things I didn’t know were edible.
![]() |
| When she's not a cretin... |
PG:
Of course, everyone knows you’re absolutely stunning and is madly in love with
you! What’s the way to Tara’s heart?
TM: The most attractive people are those with passions, dreams, and goals. People who are kind and compassionate to their peers; this proves they are confident and secure enough in themselves, so they treat others well (people who are mean are never happy with themselves). Open-mindedness. A person who creates something earns my esteem. A person with an undying thirst for knowledge gets my nerdy blood pumping! If you’re a person who knows what you love, and adheres to those things, I respect that. And as an added bonus, if you’re down for keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365, and you dig kicking it to horror marathons, binging on junk food, and blasting Motorhead… that makes me melt into a seeping little puddle of toxic waste.
PG: What were the most and least challenging parts of filming? Did you ever get sick of being constantly surrounded by people?
TM: Of course there were moments when you wanted to be left alone. When this feeling crept in, I would walk around outside with my headphones in the parking lot. In circles. Pacing. Like a freak. That was my meditative, self-reflective process. Though fortunately, lots of people had cars, so we’d go for metal drives, go out to eat, go exploring, or catch a movie on a day off. Having my best friend, Gabrielle, working there as well (costume design; makeup artisty) was a blessing. When the going got tough…Babette Bombshell (actor) was a comedic genius, so that was the best, he always made me smile. And Justin Martell (producer/production manager) would make me piss myself laughing, so that always cheered me up. We were all a giant, degenerate family though, and these people are my world, now.
TM: The most attractive people are those with passions, dreams, and goals. People who are kind and compassionate to their peers; this proves they are confident and secure enough in themselves, so they treat others well (people who are mean are never happy with themselves). Open-mindedness. A person who creates something earns my esteem. A person with an undying thirst for knowledge gets my nerdy blood pumping! If you’re a person who knows what you love, and adheres to those things, I respect that. And as an added bonus, if you’re down for keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365, and you dig kicking it to horror marathons, binging on junk food, and blasting Motorhead… that makes me melt into a seeping little puddle of toxic waste.
PG: What were the most and least challenging parts of filming? Did you ever get sick of being constantly surrounded by people?
TM: Of course there were moments when you wanted to be left alone. When this feeling crept in, I would walk around outside with my headphones in the parking lot. In circles. Pacing. Like a freak. That was my meditative, self-reflective process. Though fortunately, lots of people had cars, so we’d go for metal drives, go out to eat, go exploring, or catch a movie on a day off. Having my best friend, Gabrielle, working there as well (costume design; makeup artisty) was a blessing. When the going got tough…Babette Bombshell (actor) was a comedic genius, so that was the best, he always made me smile. And Justin Martell (producer/production manager) would make me piss myself laughing, so that always cheered me up. We were all a giant, degenerate family though, and these people are my world, now.
We
slept on a hard wood floor of a funeral home surrounded by 50 other people –
but we’d get up every single morning even hungrier for success than the day
before, ready to jump in and do what we love most on this planet. We’d heal the
pain of sore muscles with a cheap beer at one of the local joints, have some
GBH, Black Flag, and Misfits sing-alongs, and exchange dialogue about filming,
always injecting humor into the days’ events. After late nights of shooting,
we’d flock on the steps of the funeral home, chain smoke, listen to (our
production manager ) Justin’s hilarious
rants, blast old heavy metal tunes, and nerd it about 70s exploitation films
and 80s horror.
PG: You describe the whole Nuke ‘Em Experience as positively life changing. How has your life changed since filming?
TM: I’ve acquired SO much knowledge from this experience; about filmmaking, about work ethic, about communication, about friendship, about human nature, about life in general. These people opened, and continue to open my mind. Perhaps the most crucial lesson from my Troma experience I’ve learned is: you have to do what makes you happy in this life. It sounds like such a cliché, and a simplistic concept, but people don’t seem to get that. That seemingly rudimentary concept of happiness gets obscured by overcomplicated teachings that are thrust down our throats by our materialist, brainwashed society, from before we’re even old enough to process information for ourselves. Images of beauty are imprinted into the collective, too. There is something wrong with a society that assesses success by the numbers in your bank account, rather than how you’ve inspired people, the knowledge you’ve acquired, and the lessons you’ve taught people. I’m not saying you have to give up all your material belongings to live in a Buddhist monastery to find happiness –obviously it takes some sort of income to sustain life, and in my case, make the art I want. You have to implement some sort of balance.
PG: You describe the whole Nuke ‘Em Experience as positively life changing. How has your life changed since filming?
TM: I’ve acquired SO much knowledge from this experience; about filmmaking, about work ethic, about communication, about friendship, about human nature, about life in general. These people opened, and continue to open my mind. Perhaps the most crucial lesson from my Troma experience I’ve learned is: you have to do what makes you happy in this life. It sounds like such a cliché, and a simplistic concept, but people don’t seem to get that. That seemingly rudimentary concept of happiness gets obscured by overcomplicated teachings that are thrust down our throats by our materialist, brainwashed society, from before we’re even old enough to process information for ourselves. Images of beauty are imprinted into the collective, too. There is something wrong with a society that assesses success by the numbers in your bank account, rather than how you’ve inspired people, the knowledge you’ve acquired, and the lessons you’ve taught people. I’m not saying you have to give up all your material belongings to live in a Buddhist monastery to find happiness –obviously it takes some sort of income to sustain life, and in my case, make the art I want. You have to implement some sort of balance.
However, much of what we’re incessantly TOLD
is important in the physical realm whilst living here on Earth, really doesn’t
fucking matter. Knowledge, love, happiness, THAT is what’s to be measured. “You
need a reality check, honey. You sound like an overly optimistic hippie.” I get
that kind of response. Things are so backwards in the culture. It’s so bizarre.
And, when we’re happier, we treat people better. It directly affects our
ethical/moral behavior. If you want to make movies, make
movies. If you want to make music, make music. On your days off, if you want to
sit on your couch all day, smoking weed, painting, hanging out with your dog
while watching Halloween, fucking by all means, DO IT. As long as you’re a good
person (now’s not time for the moral relativism argument, either, that’s for
another time)…and if you’re always seeking knowledge, pursuing and fighting for
your dreams, and keeping the fire burning while doing so, you should have a
pretty rad life. Be honest, be genuine, work relentlessly toward your goals,
and treat others well…and you will reap the rewards. And always try to surround
yourself with sincerely good people; energy is transferable.
And for fuck’s sake, there are rotten apples
out there, many of whom can do a pretty damn good job of distorting your
dreams. Venomous words are toxic to the spirit. But when someone upsets you,
and you want to pull his/her spinal cord out of his/her anal sphincter, always
channel your inner-Bad Brains, and keep that positive mental attitude. It’s
worth your while.
PG: You told me you were going to do some cons- what does that entail? Is there a specific con you’re looking forward to? How does Occupy Cannes fit in?
TM: Conventions are a fabulous way to make personal connections with the Troma fans, a wonderful way to meet folks in the industry, buy awesome stuff, and you get to nerd it out with other film fanatics! I am looking forward to all the conventions; it’s going to be amazing! I am really stoked for Cinema Wasteland, because I finally get to hang out with my crush…who I can’t wait to squeeze. I’m such a little girl!
Occupy
Cannes is something else entirely! Troma has launched our Occupy Cannes
campaign to host the premiere of Return to Nuke ‘Em High Volume I at the Cannes
Film Festival, as we simultaneously shoot a very IMPORTANT documentary about
the triumphs and struggles of independent filmmaking. Everything you see in
Troma films, and films like this, is the sheer result of a hard-working, diligent
group of people who bleed for independent cinema, sacrifice sleep and implement
a total DIY practice. It is imperative
to note: the aim of the Occupy Cannes campaign is not to exclusively advocate
for Troma Entertainment, but to inspire other independent film makers that IT
IS possible to achieve success while preserving your artistic integrity and
keeping your vision pure. Some of the most potent material circulating out
there today is found within the underbelly of the underground, created by folks
whose names you wouldn’t necessarily recognize at first glance: it’s for the
Doug Sakmann’s, the Slasher Dave’s, the Evan Makrogiannis’, the James Balsamo’s
and the Anthony Curry’s of the world! This campaign is for all of those
involved in creating underground cinema! Visit our Occupy Canness webpage here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/OccupyCannes
PG: Do you think you’ll continue
to act in the future? Do you have other
plans, like school or a job?
TM: I will always involve myself in film, in one way or another! Let’s see what the future holds. I am currently in school where I study English and Film!
PG: What advice do you have for other people looking to get into film?
TM: Fight and conquer! Persist and persevere! Die for what you love! Do everything in your power to make it happen! Make connections! Put yourself out there! Always support independent/underground film in general; you will meet people through your advocacy, the feeling of generosity is impenetrable, and you will get back what you give! Never hesitate to work outside of your comfort zone; don’t be afraid to get weird! Study the way humans behave; always observe and keep sharp and aware! Read! Read! Read! Knowledge is power! Always possess a willingness to learn! And finally: always treat everyone well on a film set! You don’t always know who you’re taking to!
PG: Thanks for your time babe, is there anything else you want to add?
TM: Excellent, though-provoking questions. This whole interview was a very introspective, therapeutic experience. Thank you for digging past the surface of mundane, monotonous questions…and thanks for taking the time, Linds; I appreciate it! You are wonderful.
TM: I will always involve myself in film, in one way or another! Let’s see what the future holds. I am currently in school where I study English and Film!
PG: What advice do you have for other people looking to get into film?
TM: Fight and conquer! Persist and persevere! Die for what you love! Do everything in your power to make it happen! Make connections! Put yourself out there! Always support independent/underground film in general; you will meet people through your advocacy, the feeling of generosity is impenetrable, and you will get back what you give! Never hesitate to work outside of your comfort zone; don’t be afraid to get weird! Study the way humans behave; always observe and keep sharp and aware! Read! Read! Read! Knowledge is power! Always possess a willingness to learn! And finally: always treat everyone well on a film set! You don’t always know who you’re taking to!
PG: Thanks for your time babe, is there anything else you want to add?
TM: Excellent, though-provoking questions. This whole interview was a very introspective, therapeutic experience. Thank you for digging past the surface of mundane, monotonous questions…and thanks for taking the time, Linds; I appreciate it! You are wonderful.
Support underground film and independent art
in all forms!



No comments:
Post a Comment