Thursday, November 3, 2011

RIP Flattus

Saw this from metalsucks and I was REALLY fucking sad.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/breaking-gwar-guitarist-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/

Gwar was one of my first metal shows.  What a show, right?  I even got to meet them at a signing at the now defunct Splattergod Records.  I was a bit nervous, being 15 years old and meeting the most defective, horrible and awful metalpunk think tank.  And to my surprise,  they were awesome.  Oderus broke a table and poked all the women there (all two of us) with his oversized penis.  Beefcake and Jizzmak hung out, outside of costume and chatted with us, offering us beer and pizza.

I met one of my best friends, the late Kevin Lenane, who treated me like a sister until the day he died.   The show was one of the most fun and insane things I ever saw.  I remember having to explain to my mom why I was covered in...everything.  It was amazing, life-changing for me and one of the best nights.  This tour with Ghoul would have made somewhere around the 8th or 9th Gwar show.  That's a 1 show per year record, about.

Sometimes, loss catches me off guard.  I didn't know Cory personally, hell I met the guy in costume.  Once.  7 years ago.  It's not that he was a friend or family, it's that GWAR came into my life at such a perfect time.   The beginnings of my metal-show going career.  So thanks Cory and GWAR, for being so perfectly timed in my life and introducing me to how much fun metal can be.

This is the last remnant I have from the signing, but it's cool as hell. :)
Rest in Hell, Cory.

PS- Oderus' final statement is wonderful and beautiful.  Rock on, Dave Brockie.
http://www.metalinsider.net/updates/dave-brockie-aka-oderus-urungus-provides-further-comments-on-cory-smoot%E2%80%99s-death-provides-status-on-gwar

No comments:

Post a Comment