First of all, I’d like to thank ALL the bands and labels who sent stuff in. I really appreciate the support from the world over- literally, from my town to South Africa. You have my deepest thanks and appreciation! And now, onto it! (in alphabetical Order)
A Walk with the Wicked, “Architects of Sadism”- I love me some global metal. Hailing from South Africa, AWwtW mixes bits of old school and new death metal. There are lots of good chunks of old school style songwriting under very modern, clean production. These guys do not shy away from professional quality, and I can respect that, even if it’s not quite my personal taste. It’s got some breakdowns, which I am really averse too. Luckily there were enough bits of Bloodbath/Entombed/Morbid Angel-esque death metal to keep me interested. This is the album I’d give my kid brother who listened to only deathcore to introduce him to some heavier stuff. While there are bits of all my favorite death metal bands, I’d love to hear these guys opened up, full-steam ahead. Lots of potential!
www.awalkwiththewicked.com/
A Walk with the Wicked, “Architects of Sadism”- I love me some global metal. Hailing from South Africa, AWwtW mixes bits of old school and new death metal. There are lots of good chunks of old school style songwriting under very modern, clean production. These guys do not shy away from professional quality, and I can respect that, even if it’s not quite my personal taste. It’s got some breakdowns, which I am really averse too. Luckily there were enough bits of Bloodbath/Entombed/Morbid Angel-esque death metal to keep me interested. This is the album I’d give my kid brother who listened to only deathcore to introduce him to some heavier stuff. While there are bits of all my favorite death metal bands, I’d love to hear these guys opened up, full-steam ahead. Lots of potential!
www.awalkwiththewicked.com/
Abuse, “Abuse EP”- These dudes are from my town. Calling themselves “math punk hardcore,” they play their own breed of insanity. Six songs in a little over 10 minutes, I’d call it fast, chaotic. There’s a lot going on here. There’s screaming, some cleaner vocals, a lot of cymbals and noisy-ass guitars. There’s a tag on their bandcamp for “screamo” and “experimental,” and you know, I buy that. I like that in Swampy Swamp Land, these dudes are trying to do something all their own. I know these guys are hometown heroes and all around nice dudes, but they are not really my taste. Who would like these guys? Fans of Converge, Khann, Pg. 99, Circle Takes the Square
welcometoabuse.bandcamp.com
Bitter End, “Have A Nice Death!”- Reunited 80’s rockers (NOT the hardcore band!) released this album, which is new material and some previously unreleased material on Metal-On-Metal Records, based out of Italy. This stuff is really upbeat and fun. Singer Matt Fox heavily resembles Dave Mustaine in the middle of his career. Nothing overly complicated, some cool guitar leads, some catchy parts, and hey! A Falestto scream!. The biggest appeal for Bitter End, I think, is that it’s really straightforward. Either you did the Sanctuary-esque lyrics, cool leads and solid song writing, or you don’t. Although this band has been on a 20 year hiatus, I can’t tell. I mean that as a compliment- the unreleased and new material flow seamlessly together. I could see these guys playing a show with Anvil. Or on a Sanctuary reunion tour.
http://www.metal-on-metal.com/bitter_end.html
Ever Circling Wolves, “Chapter III EP”- Finnish doom metal? With a hint of death? The photo is reminiscent of Electric Wizard? The same country that produced Hooded Menace? I am excited. And rightfully slow. This two song, fourteen minute EP absolutely crushes. It’s heavy, it’s slow, it’s atmospheric. The singer’s voice fits beautifully over long riffs. I love the production, I think it adds a layer of atmosphere and emotion to the music. In my notes, I wrote “chilling,” and not just cause these dudes are Finnish. This is the kind of music you listen to while you’re wallowing in your own misery, “in the trench,” appropriately. Fourteen minutes of nonstop, slowwwww headbanging. If you like Hooded Menace or Electric Wizard, you’ll be a fan of these dudes.
www.ecwdoom.com
Landforge, “Creation Cycle”- My two favorite albums of the bunch, right in the middle. I admit, I was scared of this at first. A one man black metal project? It could be genius or it could sound like an answering machine full of bees. Luckily, this album is the former. This too, is atmospheric, and this too will serve you effectively if you’re drowning your sorrows in tunes and booze (or your drug of choice, I guess. Maybe not LSD…) Or if you’re working on a paper, as my case usually is. It’s haunting and beautiful, sad, thoughtful and creative. I think in the two weeks this has been in my possession, I’ve played it multiple times and not just for the purpose of writing this review. There are no vocals, which aside from making this that much more atmospheric, make it perfect to turn up when you want to drop out. If you like DSBM or stuff like Bleak (my other favorite one man project!), you’ll be a fan.
landforge.bandcamp.com/album/creation-cycle
Lucky Funeral, “The Dirty History of Mankind”- This band came to me as a Greek sludge band. I really tried to be into it. I’m having a hard time finding the sludge in this. What I do hear is early 2000s. Some of this can be attributed to the singer, who has a sort of James Hetfield meets Phil Anselmo and hangs out with that guy from Killswitch Engage kinda voice. Ok, metal-archives has them listened as “southern” and “rock” which is unique for a band from Greece, and I think this is more southern rock than sludge, but I can hear some sludge-y elements. There are some aspects which I think people will find appealing- the screams, the attitude, the chunky riffs and drums that I kind of want to bang my head to. You know, a few songs in and it’s growing on me a little, it’s got some catchy instrument-stuff going on and I might consider singing along to this for fun. Even James HetEngage’s voice has grown on me. It fits with the music, and despite his being Greek, he does a pretty good Southern-fried scream. (If you’re caught up in the ever-trendy Pantera hate though, just skip it.) They have an impressive resume, so maybe the album is worth checking out. Start with “Your Own Private Terror.”
www.myspace.com/luckyfuneral
Meliah Rage, “Dead to the World”- The singer’s name is Paul Souza? As in, the namesake of my favorite thrash singer ever? I think this is just a coincidence. In any case, this Metal On Metal Records band still has some powerful vocals and some really interesting guitar leads. Like their labelmates Bitter End, they have a similar 80s vibe going on, a little chunkier sounding but equally pissed. It’s old school, but has some modern hard rock elements too, like on “Where Nothing Ever Grows.” It’s an interesting blend of old school and modern hard rock and I think old dudes will like it. I mean that in a good way.
http://www.metal-on-metal.com/meliah_rage.html
Satevis, “Centralia”- For the first minute, I thought this was an extended Landforge song or something. After that faux pas, I realized, oh, this is some cool black-y death-y metal. When I see this band is from New York I’m a bit caught off guard, because to me, it seems more European (is that a compliment? Hah!). It’s got symphonic parts, but some tremolo-y riffs. It’s dissonant and creative. The symphonic stuff is tasteful, not stale or cheesy or overused. Heavy and dark, it’s what brooding New York artists might listen to, if they were so metal-y inclined. The only thing, to me, that doesn’t fit are the inclusion of a few “Widdly” guitar parts (The Collapse Part 1). I think it takes away from some of the dark atmosphere the band is going for, they don’t really fit. I can tell these people can write songs, and it’s not necessary to basically show horn in the guitar bits that don’t quite work. More, he solo in “Centralia.” I like it, though and I’m ready for round two.
http://satevis.bandcamp.com
Secrets She Kept, “La Fin Absolue du Monde”- More American Black Metal! I remember when I met this band, a tiny one band baby, now a full fledged band with a line up and shows and everything! I am so proud of how far Necrol + crew have come. That said, this is a solid effort from the Florida crew. It’s got interesting riffs, passionate, powerful vocals, hammering, solid drums. All that said, I think Florida’s own breed of metal has rubbed off. Although this album is considered black metal (maybe because Necrol played with Kult ov Azazel?), I’d consider it blackened death metal. Consider it a side-effect of living here. Plenty of good riffs to go around, right guys? The only thing I don’t get is the random break down on “Messiah.” I know you guys have had to play with some interesting bands due to your location in this swamp, but I can’t get over the chugs + Dimebag guitars. (it’s the only one though!) That said, judging from the music and song titles, I am pretty sure Necrol hates everything, and that hate fuels some passionate music, regardless of genre or giant upside down crosses. SSK says the new album they’re writing is the best yet. Bring it on.
http://www.secretsshekept.com/secretsshekept-home.html
welcometoabuse.bandcamp.com
Bitter End, “Have A Nice Death!”- Reunited 80’s rockers (NOT the hardcore band!) released this album, which is new material and some previously unreleased material on Metal-On-Metal Records, based out of Italy. This stuff is really upbeat and fun. Singer Matt Fox heavily resembles Dave Mustaine in the middle of his career. Nothing overly complicated, some cool guitar leads, some catchy parts, and hey! A Falestto scream!. The biggest appeal for Bitter End, I think, is that it’s really straightforward. Either you did the Sanctuary-esque lyrics, cool leads and solid song writing, or you don’t. Although this band has been on a 20 year hiatus, I can’t tell. I mean that as a compliment- the unreleased and new material flow seamlessly together. I could see these guys playing a show with Anvil. Or on a Sanctuary reunion tour.
http://www.metal-on-metal.com/bitter_end.html
Ever Circling Wolves, “Chapter III EP”- Finnish doom metal? With a hint of death? The photo is reminiscent of Electric Wizard? The same country that produced Hooded Menace? I am excited. And rightfully slow. This two song, fourteen minute EP absolutely crushes. It’s heavy, it’s slow, it’s atmospheric. The singer’s voice fits beautifully over long riffs. I love the production, I think it adds a layer of atmosphere and emotion to the music. In my notes, I wrote “chilling,” and not just cause these dudes are Finnish. This is the kind of music you listen to while you’re wallowing in your own misery, “in the trench,” appropriately. Fourteen minutes of nonstop, slowwwww headbanging. If you like Hooded Menace or Electric Wizard, you’ll be a fan of these dudes.
www.ecwdoom.com
Landforge, “Creation Cycle”- My two favorite albums of the bunch, right in the middle. I admit, I was scared of this at first. A one man black metal project? It could be genius or it could sound like an answering machine full of bees. Luckily, this album is the former. This too, is atmospheric, and this too will serve you effectively if you’re drowning your sorrows in tunes and booze (or your drug of choice, I guess. Maybe not LSD…) Or if you’re working on a paper, as my case usually is. It’s haunting and beautiful, sad, thoughtful and creative. I think in the two weeks this has been in my possession, I’ve played it multiple times and not just for the purpose of writing this review. There are no vocals, which aside from making this that much more atmospheric, make it perfect to turn up when you want to drop out. If you like DSBM or stuff like Bleak (my other favorite one man project!), you’ll be a fan.
landforge.bandcamp.com/album/creation-cycle
Lucky Funeral, “The Dirty History of Mankind”- This band came to me as a Greek sludge band. I really tried to be into it. I’m having a hard time finding the sludge in this. What I do hear is early 2000s. Some of this can be attributed to the singer, who has a sort of James Hetfield meets Phil Anselmo and hangs out with that guy from Killswitch Engage kinda voice. Ok, metal-archives has them listened as “southern” and “rock” which is unique for a band from Greece, and I think this is more southern rock than sludge, but I can hear some sludge-y elements. There are some aspects which I think people will find appealing- the screams, the attitude, the chunky riffs and drums that I kind of want to bang my head to. You know, a few songs in and it’s growing on me a little, it’s got some catchy instrument-stuff going on and I might consider singing along to this for fun. Even James HetEngage’s voice has grown on me. It fits with the music, and despite his being Greek, he does a pretty good Southern-fried scream. (If you’re caught up in the ever-trendy Pantera hate though, just skip it.) They have an impressive resume, so maybe the album is worth checking out. Start with “Your Own Private Terror.”
www.myspace.com/luckyfuneral
Meliah Rage, “Dead to the World”- The singer’s name is Paul Souza? As in, the namesake of my favorite thrash singer ever? I think this is just a coincidence. In any case, this Metal On Metal Records band still has some powerful vocals and some really interesting guitar leads. Like their labelmates Bitter End, they have a similar 80s vibe going on, a little chunkier sounding but equally pissed. It’s old school, but has some modern hard rock elements too, like on “Where Nothing Ever Grows.” It’s an interesting blend of old school and modern hard rock and I think old dudes will like it. I mean that in a good way.
http://www.metal-on-metal.com/meliah_rage.html
Satevis, “Centralia”- For the first minute, I thought this was an extended Landforge song or something. After that faux pas, I realized, oh, this is some cool black-y death-y metal. When I see this band is from New York I’m a bit caught off guard, because to me, it seems more European (is that a compliment? Hah!). It’s got symphonic parts, but some tremolo-y riffs. It’s dissonant and creative. The symphonic stuff is tasteful, not stale or cheesy or overused. Heavy and dark, it’s what brooding New York artists might listen to, if they were so metal-y inclined. The only thing, to me, that doesn’t fit are the inclusion of a few “Widdly” guitar parts (The Collapse Part 1). I think it takes away from some of the dark atmosphere the band is going for, they don’t really fit. I can tell these people can write songs, and it’s not necessary to basically show horn in the guitar bits that don’t quite work. More, he solo in “Centralia.” I like it, though and I’m ready for round two.
http://satevis.bandcamp.com
Secrets She Kept, “La Fin Absolue du Monde”- More American Black Metal! I remember when I met this band, a tiny one band baby, now a full fledged band with a line up and shows and everything! I am so proud of how far Necrol + crew have come. That said, this is a solid effort from the Florida crew. It’s got interesting riffs, passionate, powerful vocals, hammering, solid drums. All that said, I think Florida’s own breed of metal has rubbed off. Although this album is considered black metal (maybe because Necrol played with Kult ov Azazel?), I’d consider it blackened death metal. Consider it a side-effect of living here. Plenty of good riffs to go around, right guys? The only thing I don’t get is the random break down on “Messiah.” I know you guys have had to play with some interesting bands due to your location in this swamp, but I can’t get over the chugs + Dimebag guitars. (it’s the only one though!) That said, judging from the music and song titles, I am pretty sure Necrol hates everything, and that hate fuels some passionate music, regardless of genre or giant upside down crosses. SSK says the new album they’re writing is the best yet. Bring it on.
http://www.secretsshekept.com/secretsshekept-home.html
Thanks to all the bands that contributed, and to Jowita @ Metal On Metal!
Now hoarding stuff for Fall 11 reviews, so send it over to scrapyardmagazine@gmail.com
Now hoarding stuff for Fall 11 reviews, so send it over to scrapyardmagazine@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment