Monday, March 28, 2011

Show of the Year: Wormrot/Tombs

Local Promoters Orlandooom presented the Wormrot/Tombs tour Saturday night at Will's Pub.  And let me summarize: if you weren't there, you missed out.  Let me summarize further: show. of. the. year.  Orlandooom as well as local openers Putrescent Secretancy and Quarter the Villan deserve a major hand, bringing in people from the East coast, Orlando, everywhere in between. 

Tombs.  Although some of the crowd had dissipated, I knew I'd hang around...mostly because the drummer vaguely resembles Absu's Proscriptor and the guitar sports an Emperor sticker.  Oh, and I'm a sucker for a three piece.  And I am so glad I did.  It was a 30-40 minute sonic punch to the face.  Shit is LOUD, fast, heavy and evil.  Guitarist/Vocalist Mike Hill is half buzzsaw and rips through crazy tremolos and trippy, psychedelic interludes.  Drummer Hernandez is unrelenting and bassist Carson James is probably the coolest looking dude I've ever seen.  Dude can hold it down.  Trippy blackened sludge at it's finest, Tombs will deliver and you'll be picking up pieces of your face after the show.

Wormrot.  After doing this interview with Wormrot I was especially excited to see them.  Another three piece, I knew I was in for it when Fit loaded his busted-head drumkit on the stage.  And holy shit.  For someone who finds 95% of bands lacking in the "being entertaining" portion of live shows, I was fucking blown away.  Playing songs off Abuse and the new Dirge, if Tombs was a sonic punch to the head, Wormrot was...like getting hit by a truck.  Rasyid and Arif are fucking amazing, the two of them do not stop the whole time they're on stage.  Fit is a fucking animal.  Anyone who blows trough a drum head is a fucking beast in my book, and the dude does. not. stop.   I'd be surprised if his sticks were more than splinters at the end of it.  The crowd begged for an encore, and coming from Orlando, this is nothing short of a fucking miracle because no one here has fun at shows or moshes or even bothers to look entertained.  And yet, people were getting thrown around, alcohol was inhaled and Wormrot, the newbie grind band from Singapore, billed as the next Nasum, earned their road credits and Orlando's respect in one short set.  I have never seen three people (five, if you count manager Azean and their roadie) look happier to be on stage playing, causing chaos and that, to me is what makes a show. 

Unrelenting, passionate, fucking incredible, if you miss this tour, you're a damn fool.

 Scrapyard death crew with wormrot- L-R, F-B NecronomiSean, Fit, The Pitgoddess, Arif, Dangrind, Rasyid

3 comments:

  1. 7 in total actually.. hehe.. we have 1 tour manager, 2 roadies, wormrot and me.. :D Awesome tour so far! Didn't expect the crowd will go crazy in Orlando.. :D SU-WEET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't either! But you all were just SO good, we couldn't resist. Def. one of the coolest bands I've had the pleasure of meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atlanta loved you guys as well Wormrot! Sucks about the van hope that shit gets worked out

    ReplyDelete