Monday, March 7, 2011

Fuck Yeah, Florida.

Florida bands!  I’ve wanted to do an All- Florida edition of the zine for ages.  A hard copy.  The reality is, between graduate school, work and coordinating with band people…this would take forever to really put together.  When I started of the zine blog, I thought again- sweet, I can do a Florida Band Write Up once a week.  Again, school has really sucked up the majority of my time.  And besides- who cares what I think? 

So, here’s my (non comprehensive) list of bands from Florida that come Scrapyard and PitGoddess approved.  My only analysis and commentary is to differentiate between Fast Florida and Slow Florida.  I tried to limit this to bands that haven’t done any big deal tours and are active, but there’s some added at my digression.  I also tried to exclude big bands, or bands with famous members (i.e. Paths of Posession/Corpsegrinder)  If I left your band off, there’s a chance I forgot, have no idea what you’re doing, or they didn’t make the cut.  But there’s a chance it really wasn’t intentional.

Although Florida’s never really been the state with the best scene or the most permanent scene (hello, transient Orlando!)…I sat down and thought about it, we really do crank out some sweet tunes.  Enjoy, world.

Fast Florida
Maruta- Grindcore @ Willowtip- www.myspace.com/maruta
The Holy Mountain- Thrash/Hardcore @ No Idea Records- www.myspace.com/theholymountain

Cystic Dysentary- Brutal Death Metal @ Deathgasm Records- www.myspace.com/cysticdysentery
Immanifest- Symphonic Black Metal- www.myspace.com/immanifest
Cellgraft- Grindcore- www.myspace.com/cellgraft
Shitstorm-Grindcore- www.myspace.com/shitstorm
Gorilla Pussy- Hardcore- www.myspace.com/gorillaxpussy
Dolphin Splatter- Powerviolence- www.myspace.com/dolphinsplatter
Putrescent Secretancy- Death Metal- www.myspace.com/putrescentsecretancy
Great Awakening- Thrash- www.myspace.com/greatawakeningfl

Volcanic Slut- Thrash- www.last.fm/music/Volcanic+Slut


Slow Florida
Dark Castle- Sludge/Drone @ Profound Lore- www.myspace.com/darkcastlemetal
Druid Lord- Doom/Death@ HPGD- www.myspace.com/druidlordz
Consular- Sludge/Doom @ Shifty Records- www.myspace.com/consular
Flying Snakes- Sludge/Down-Tempo @Financial Ruin- www.myspace.com/flyingsnakes
Junior Bruce- Sludge- www.myspace.com/juniorbrucefl
Hollow Leg- Doom- www.myspace.com/hollowlegband
Shroud Eater- Sludge/Doom- www.myspace.com/shroudeaterrocks

And, since people are constantly asking “Where can I book a show? Who can I talk to?”  Here’s a short contact list, with venues.  These are all Orlando venues, unless otherwise noted.  I can only account for Orlando venues.

Big Venues: See A Show! (500-1000 +)
Firestone Live- www.firestonelive.net
House of Blues- www.houseofblues.com
Hard Rock Live- www.hardrock.com
The Plaza Theater-www.plazaliveorlando.com
State Theater (St. Pete)- www.statetheatreconcerts.com

Culture Room (Ft. Lauderdale)-www.cultureroom.net
Jannus Landing (St. Pete)- www.jannuslive.com

Mid Sized/Small Venues: See A Smaller Show! (350-500)
Backbooth-
 www.backbooth.com
The Social- www.thesocial.org
The Beecham- www.play.fm/club/thebeachamtheater
Club Revolution (Ft. Lauderdale)- www.jointherevolution.com
Brass Mug (Tampa)- www.myspace.com/brassmug
Freebird Live (Jacksonville)- www.freebirdlive.com/
Common Grounds (Gainsville)- www.commongroundslive.com
Small Venues: Book Your Own Shows! (<350)
Will’s Pub- www.myspace.com/willspub
Hoops Tavern-
www.facebook.com/pages/Hoops-Tavern
The Haven- www.thehavenrocks.com
Churchill’s (Miami)- www.churchillspub.com
321 Local (Cocoa)- www.myspace.com/321local
Transitions (Tampa) www.transitionsartgallery.com
The Pit (Jacksonville)- www.myspace.com/brewsterspit
Wayward Council (Gainsville)- www.myspace.com/waywardcouncil
1982 (Gainsville)- www.myspace.com/1982_bar

No comments:

Post a Comment