| Marissa with Repulsion @ MDF! |
Hello Marissa! I hope you had a great New Year- did you make any New Year’s Resolutions?
MM: Not really, no. My only resolution this year was to not make any resolutions since I typically fail at them miserably. Hahaha!
I understand that Cretin was formed in 1992. Could you explain what challenges you faced back in those days which caused Cretin’s debut EP to be released 12 years later (in 2004?)
MM: Oh god! There were so many! Mainly, we had a really hard time finding a drummer who was into the same music, and also a right fit for the band. Matt and I liked really specific bands, and we needed a drummer who understood the loose raw sound we appreciated while still being technically proficient. Initially, we couldn’t find a drummer who could blast. Then, when we did, they’d often be overly technical, and just didn’t get our sense of humor, which was always a big part of our creativity.
When we found Col, that all changed. He totally clicked with us. But, by that point we had already shelved Cretin, and Matt had joined Exhumed. That was the priority at that time.
Another problem was that we just couldn’t find our sound. We new what we wanted to do lyrically, but musically we were just all over the place. It wasn’t until 2000, when Matt gave me the creative freedom to do whatever I wanted, that we found it. Before that, we were trying to write against a bunch of rules and restrictions we had made for ourselves, and it just got in the way.
What influenced Cretin to write lyrics based on bizarre subjects?
MM: It’s mostly just our sense of humor. Matt and I used to sit around for hours, making up stories for lyrics, and laughing our asses off. It’s just kind of what we would do for fun. It started back in psychology class in high school when we were learning about abnormal psychology. But, Matt was always into horror stories, and serial killers, and what not... He got me into those things too, and when we saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre we really appreciated the characters in that movie. It helped us develop a theme...
Will there be a 2nd full-length from Cretin ? Could you give a sneak peek of what’s to come?
MM: We’re working on a second full-length as I type this. So far, Matt and I are just recording temp tracks which we pass back and forth. But, we’re hoping to start rehearsing with Col soon. As far as a sneak peek, all I can say is that we’re amping up the Freakery to make it stranger than before...
Also, you’re a full-time member of Repulsion now! Congrats! How did you get the gig with Repulsion?
MM: Thanks! Yeah, it’s a dream come true. Repulsion is my favorite band of all time, so to be in the band is just mind-blowing... We’ve all been really good friends for the last 6 years or so, and they love the Cretin album. So, they just saw me as a natural fit. They actually wanted me to join a couple of years ago, but I was still dealing with surgeries and what not, so I couldn’t commit to the band at the time. When the Scion gig came up last year they asked me to join and I jumped at the chance now that the rest of my life is in order.
How do you think Repulsion has influenced metal over the years? How have they influenced your style of playing?
MM: I’d have to say Repulsion inspired everyone to play faster. They introduced the blast beat to the underground metal scene, and it became the standard for grindcore.
For me, Repulsion reinforced my playing style. In the early days of Cretin I kept trying to tailor my playing to some sound that just wasn’t inherently me. I was forcing myself out of my comfort zone in an attempt to create something “original” and “fresh.” But, when I heard “Horrified” all of that changed! That album sounds like the music that’s bouncing around in my head. I just completely identify with it, and when I play guitar it sounds exactly like the way they play. So, it influenced me to stop forcing myself to play out of my comfort zone, and just let go and play what came naturally to me. It basically reinforced the idea that what I’m doing is “legitimate,” if you will...
What are the plans for Repulsion?
MM: The only plans for Repulsion that I know of are to play more shows and festivals. But, nothing is on our calendar yet...
You have a pretty cool job, from what I understand. What do you do?
MM: I lead a software testing team for Industrial, Light, & Magic (ILM.) But, that’s all I can really say about my job.
Apart from metal and work,what are you actively involved in?
MM: When I’m not doing those things, I pretty much just spend time with my boyfriend. I used to be involved in the local latex fetish scene, but that’s kind of dissipated in the last year or so...
You were interviewed for a documentary that featured transsexual men and women, part of which was filmed at MDF. Is that going to be released soon?
MM: That’s right! The movie is called “TRANS” and it finished post production back in September 2011. Unfortunately, due to some mix-ups with a shipping company, the filmmakers didn’t receive all of the footage in time, so my section had to be dropped from the movie. But, I’m told from the filmmakers that they are considering making a special extended cut for DVD that would add my section back in. Even without me in the movie, I’m still really excited about this film, and can’t wait to see it. Check out the trailer here: http://www.transthemovie.com/
Obviously there are a lot of misconceptions about transpeople today, do you feel that you have to be a spokesperson?
MM: Hmm... Yes and no. I mean, as a form of self-preservation I feel compelled to speak up about what it means to be transsexual. It’s an attempt to demystify the situation, and dispel some of the misconceptions people may have. By speaking up, I feel it helps to bring some normalcy to my life, the lives of other transgender people, and even society at large.
But, I think that the feeling isn’t so much that I “have to be a spokesperson,” but rather that I’m very fortunate to be given the opportunity to be a spokesperson. That privilege comes from all of the fans of Cretin and metal who take the time to listen to me, and support me. It’s a huge honor, and I can’t thank you all enough.
What bands should we be on the look out for in 2012?
MM: Matt Widener (bassist for Cretin) has a new project coming out at the end of the month. The band is called Liberteer and the album “Better to Die on Your Feet Than Live on Your Knees” is being released by Relapse Records. I’m also excited about the new Napalm Death album, and the new Terrorizer. But, I’m really excited about the new music we’ve been writing for Cretin. Hopefully, we can get a new full-length out by the end of the year.
Thanks so much for your time, do you have anything you’d like to add? Famous last words?
MM: Hahaha! I’m not ready for “famous last words!!!” I’d like to live a lot longer than the end of this interview! Thank you for this opportunity though!
No comments:
Post a Comment