Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Looking, Knowing


Cindy Sherman by Robert Mapplethorpe, 1983.

National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution 


20 Minute Free-Write, Strike a Prose
June 7, 2022


I see you- watching you from behind as you approach the photo. 
You're looking at me, noticing me-
the color of my hair,
the cut of my suit,
the curve of my breast,
waist.

Is that a sparkle in my eye? 
Or is it a sigh?

A coy glance? No.
What is the look saying? 
You desire to know
if it is for you.

You're wondering if I am inviting you in? 
Drawing you near, as though a potential lover across a dim bar? 
Reading you as though you are a precious, beloved book? 
Or is it a look of judgement?  

You're looking at me- in a place, at a time- 
but you don't see the depths
hidden in the caverns
of my existence,
the inner workings that are a mystery, 
even to me. 

Everything I am- you see.
You know.
After just a few blinks- maybe a breath.
Taking just a sip, drinking me in, without a taste.

You turn and walk away, 
with some revelation, some feeling,
and if we're both so lucky- a connection,
however fleeting. 

From that glance. 

Art!
It made you feel
something
maybe. 
For a second.
Maybe.

Even if it's 
"well, I could've done that too," or
"I've seen prettier."
A whisper of a life
you might've lived. 

I see you, 
seeing me.
For the first time.

Assuming. 
Intimate.
Based on a glance, 
and the reading of a six-inch placard. 

"Art and artist.
Posed and poser.
The subject and the object." 
Under this, a flick of a second of my life. 

And you leave thinking- 
yes, I see it on your face- 
you leave with the knowledge
of all there is to know about me
and my essence,
better than I know myself. 

Based on that single image.
One tenth of one second,
of the millions that will make up my life.

When I have spent every single moment
in this cavern, 
this body, 
these curves,
these eyes,
always discovering something new.

And you think you've conquered- seen all of me- in a glance.

Checked it off your "must-see museum highlights!" map,
that you shoved in your pocket, 
that you'll toss aside eventually,
and never think of again. 




  


No comments:

Post a Comment