“Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.”
― Anthony Robbins
Other than my weekly (or twice weekly) yoga classes, I'd consider myself pretty stubborn and rigid when it comes to making decisions related to my life. Why? I have no idea. For as long as I can remember, I have had to find my own way. I turn to a thousand people for advice, give it a few days to sink in, and gradually come to the best decision. After, of course, I have a panic attack. This is my process. I don't know why or how. (That said, when I'm in a group, I'm more flexible. I'm not a monster.)
Anyway, I came across this Robbins quote the other day and mentally bookmarked it. It's been a rough few weeks, and I found myself facing a MAJOR BUSINESS DILEMMA. Here's the super short version: I'm not making money. Yeah, it's not about the money, blah blah. But here's the deal: the IRS has rules about that. If that wasn't stressful enough, my business class was BRUTAL this week. Finance classes always terrify me- but even worse- out instructor (who is a full-time personal finance coach) did the math and essentially, my business plan has me losing money, like, indefinitely.
Anyway, I came across this Robbins quote the other day and mentally bookmarked it. It's been a rough few weeks, and I found myself facing a MAJOR BUSINESS DILEMMA. Here's the super short version: I'm not making money. Yeah, it's not about the money, blah blah. But here's the deal: the IRS has rules about that. If that wasn't stressful enough, my business class was BRUTAL this week. Finance classes always terrify me- but even worse- out instructor (who is a full-time personal finance coach) did the math and essentially, my business plan has me losing money, like, indefinitely.
Well, crap.
Back to that quote. Now I'm working on ways to restructure the business- from shifting focus, to adding new paid services, to considering a switch to a non-profit. (AKA, a terrifying paperwork/tax nightmare!). After some tears and panic (ok, a lot of tears and panic), it became evident how much flexibility I was lacking. Sometimes it takes an outside voice to tell you what you know deep down- something's not working, something takes up too much time for too little return, etc.
A lot of reflection, thinking, support, more reflecting, more thinking...onwards and upwards.
(I'm trying to be more bendy straw and less crazy straw- wiggly but rigid...and ok, crazy.)
No comments:
Post a Comment