I’ve been running The Scrapyard Magazine off and on since I
was about 15 years old. At 15, I was a straight-A student, college-bound,
competitive martial artist and complete heavy metal junkie. Dissuaded by
mainstream metal mags lackluster coverage, I formed Scrapyard to talk about
bands I liked -mostly my friends’ bands, let’s be real- but it was all mine.
AND it was in print. I spent my own hard earned dollars printing off zines and
mailing them around the world. (True story! I even got a nasty email when
Turkish customs denied a package I had sent there.)
![]() |
| Teen Lindsey with Erik Rutan! |
Anyway, at fifteen, it was easy to write enough articles to
fill a printed zine. Aside from school and martial arts, I didn’t have many
serious commitments. In a way, Scrapyard is a reflection of who I was at 15-
enthusiastic, unbridled, and dedicated- and a bit of who I am today. However,
college, graduate school, a fruitless job search, and forming my own business
have changed who I am. I am a still dedicated and enthusiastic, but I have
priorities beyond “write about metal.” Now I’m in charge of a business- and
it’s totally up to me if it succeeds or not.
I want to combine the 15 year old PitGoddess’s passion with
the determination of 20something, adult Turnbullet. I want to continue to
explore music and explore entrepreneurship in the digital realm. I still love
heavy metal. I’ve written a book proposal based on my favorite album, I’m a first-round
member of #metalbandcampgiftclub, I've analyzed my role in the scene (for better or worse). Music is a constant in my life, and I find it
pretty easy to discuss (even if I don’t have time). There are some things that
come naturally to me, and business isn’t one of them. I’ve found it difficult
to meet others who will share their trade secrets with me, even if we aren’t in
competition. I’ve received loads of
well-meaning but terrible advice like “follow your bliss!”
Anyway, the reason I share this is so that everyone knows
that Scrapyard is getting a little bit of a re-brand to: The Turnbullet
Diaries. I’m going to keep the header, my email, etc., but the
content will be more varied, ranging from album reviews to talking shop. My new link is turnbulletdiaries.blogspot.com.
Let’s talk about music, let’s talk about making a business and leveling up to sustainability, let’s talk about quitting our day jobs. The Turnbullet Diaries is with stories of a heavy metal loving entrepreneur.
Let’s talk about music, let’s talk about making a business and leveling up to sustainability, let’s talk about quitting our day jobs. The Turnbullet Diaries is with stories of a heavy metal loving entrepreneur.

No comments:
Post a Comment