It’s a good thing I really love Scott’s voice (ex-Bloodlet, ex- Hope and Suicide)
because he lends his vocals to both promos I received from HaggardTrigger
Management.
I watched Hollow Leg grow from a duet to a four piece and
cope with the challenges of distance and loss and I couldn’t be more
proud. I’m a little conflicted though-
I really loved HL as a duet- I just have a thing for 2 and 3 pieces. I’m always highly impressed when a stellar
racket comes from two people. That said,
Abysmal, made by four people, offers
up a pretty excellent racket.

This riff-centered album reminds me of the place I called home for seven years. Trudging, sludgey, blues-inspired riffs that remind me of walking through the swamp, Brent and Tom’s instantly recognizable tones, Scott’s perfectly pissed off vocals (and killer back up vocals) and slow and heavy drums. Orlando in a nutshell.
It’s good to reminisce. And to bang your head, albeit slowly. There are some seriously catchy riffs too; the riff on Cry Havoc being one. With some serious low end, your best bet is to play this on a massive stereo, cranked up loudly.
Even though this was made in the perpetual Florida summer, in the shadow of the Mouse, there’s something really…fall about this album. It sounds like walking through a swamp in the fall, just when the sun is going down and the breeze is picking up. I feel like cracking open a pumpkin beer. There’s something really touching and refreshing about this album and it feels like the music is very personal to the dudes who created it. No gimmicks, just riffs and the passion of the fiery Florida sun. http://hollowleg666.bandcamp.com
I loved Junior Bruce way back when, their music feels very comfortable to me. I instantly loved Scott’s vocals. The dudes are unbelievably nice. Hell, my ex even did a stint with the Bruce. A389 artists Junior Bruce are hometown heroes. Like Abysmal, The Burden EP feels similarly soul-bearing, as they too struggle with the sickness and loss of former drummer Brett Tanner. Although different from Hollow Leg, they utilize similar sludgey riffs with a ton of low end. Read: it’s heavy.
This EP has, to me, a different feeling than their last three song EP, which I played ALL THE TIME. This feels a lot darker, the rhythms more varied and just more…tragic. The Burden is like hearing a little piece of their hearts. I love the guitar solo on “The Ocean’s Daughter-” it’s simple and fits the music and attitude perfectly. I’ve always thought these guys possess a ton of talent and potential. I’m really interested to see where they go in the next year.
http://juniorbrucefl.bandcamp.com/ (NAME YOUR PRICE Download)

No comments:
Post a Comment