Song and Response
First off, there are two bands making their comebacks this year: GORGUTS and CARCASS. Needless to say, we’re all on pins and needles. Metal is full of harshly critical fans, and no one wants
First off, there are two bands making their comebacks this year: GORGUTS and CARCASS. Needless to say, we’re all on pins and needles. Metal is full of harshly critical fans, and no one wants
to be the least bit let down. Any minor digressions on the bands’ part
could potentially cause diehard fans to pack up and take their merch money
elsewhere. We’re fickle.
Luckily, the new GORGUTS track, Forgotten Arrows, rips. Despite radio silence for nearly twelve years, it’s clear the Luc Lemay hasn’t lost a step. While this song is a little different, a little more evil, it’s not a total departure from Gorguts’ discography. Forgotten Arrows has got it all- atmosphere, blasts and sweet, sick riffs. Plus, Luc Lemay’s gorgeous growls. The stand out part for me is the INSANE BASS TONE. Oh my god. It’s so thick and heavy, very metallic sounding. I love it. Pure evil. Plus, I’m a sucker for any song with slow, serpentine riffs and hyper blasts. I cannot wait for the rest of this album and I hope Gorguts makes a return to the fest stages next summer.
Ed.- The album's out and the jury's in! Check the full review here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokIQOKxKSc
New CARCASS. I have no idea what a “Captive Bolt Pistol” is, but the song satisfies. Melodic guitar solos ala Heartwork (and Swansong, dare I say?) but with grindy Necroticism bits thrown in. I think some diehard grind-era Carcass fans might be let down. Jeff Walker still sounds like a dream! Guitar work and drums are still killer. I hope the time off served Carcass well. Maybe Walker’s had a ton of ideas floating around that weren’t suitable for die Fluffers. After listening to this song, I am not sure what direction the album will go in. IT doesn’t, for whatever, feel very revealing. It’s a little safe and a little Carcass by the numbers. That’s not meant as an insult, I’m just wondering where the album will head.
DAX RIGGS.
SPOILER ALERT: SET LIST:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dax-riggs/2013/mercury-lounge-new-york-ny-1bd90910.html
No, I didn’t see the set at the Mercury Lounge, but it’s the same set list. Also, I know, this is only tangentially related to metal, but as I am a big Dax fangirl and I want to review the show, my blog is the space for it.
http://grainthief.com/track/ghosts-of-my-friends
I really enjoyed the opening act, Grain Thief. I’m a big lover and supporter of sad old man drinking music. Anything bluesy and sad I can sing along to, I am game for. Grain Thief’s set was just a man with his guitar and his soul. More than anything, I think people who like Dax will like this too, so check it out.
DAX was amazing. I saw him in 2011 with a full band on his Say Goodnight to the World tour. I’d always really wanted to see him do a covers set and I got my wish- after nearly ten years of worshipping at the altar of Dax and Acid Bath. I’m that obsessive fan, who favorites and downloads tons of obscure Dax covers, because I live to hear that man sing, so maybe my review is a little biased, but that show was AMAZING. Unlike the last time, where he played with a full band, it was just Dax and a bassist/backup singer, acoustic style.
Dax did a bunch of covers I’d never heard before, including my new favorite, this cover of Fiddler’s Green. I guess this one is a relatively new add to his dossier. It’s beautiful. What I love about Dax’s covers is that each one sounds a little bit different. Not different from the original- duh, that’s a given. This link, from NOLA, sounds a little bit different than the version I heard in DC. In DC, all the covers sounded just a little bit sadder, a little bit more soulful. Only Dax Riggs could turn an Irish folk song into a tragically beautiful hymn.
It was a good mix of covers and his original stuff. The crowd was kind of odd- I know a lot of people are obsessed with Dax- he’s got quite the cult following- but a lot of people seemed surprised when he played covers. Only a handful of us (all crowded near the stage) were singing along to the covers. When he did play an original though, everyone started singing along, causing quite a fun ruckus.
I basically died and went to heaven for an hour and a half. If you’re remotely interested in his career post Acid Bath (no, he doesn’t play Bath songs), then it’s worth the $10-15.
New CARCASS. I have no idea what a “Captive Bolt Pistol” is, but the song satisfies. Melodic guitar solos ala Heartwork (and Swansong, dare I say?) but with grindy Necroticism bits thrown in. I think some diehard grind-era Carcass fans might be let down. Jeff Walker still sounds like a dream! Guitar work and drums are still killer. I hope the time off served Carcass well. Maybe Walker’s had a ton of ideas floating around that weren’t suitable for die Fluffers. After listening to this song, I am not sure what direction the album will go in. IT doesn’t, for whatever, feel very revealing. It’s a little safe and a little Carcass by the numbers. That’s not meant as an insult, I’m just wondering where the album will head.
DAX RIGGS.
SPOILER ALERT: SET LIST:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dax-riggs/2013/mercury-lounge-new-york-ny-1bd90910.html
No, I didn’t see the set at the Mercury Lounge, but it’s the same set list. Also, I know, this is only tangentially related to metal, but as I am a big Dax fangirl and I want to review the show, my blog is the space for it.
http://grainthief.com/track/ghosts-of-my-friends
I really enjoyed the opening act, Grain Thief. I’m a big lover and supporter of sad old man drinking music. Anything bluesy and sad I can sing along to, I am game for. Grain Thief’s set was just a man with his guitar and his soul. More than anything, I think people who like Dax will like this too, so check it out.
DAX was amazing. I saw him in 2011 with a full band on his Say Goodnight to the World tour. I’d always really wanted to see him do a covers set and I got my wish- after nearly ten years of worshipping at the altar of Dax and Acid Bath. I’m that obsessive fan, who favorites and downloads tons of obscure Dax covers, because I live to hear that man sing, so maybe my review is a little biased, but that show was AMAZING. Unlike the last time, where he played with a full band, it was just Dax and a bassist/backup singer, acoustic style.
Dax did a bunch of covers I’d never heard before, including my new favorite, this cover of Fiddler’s Green. I guess this one is a relatively new add to his dossier. It’s beautiful. What I love about Dax’s covers is that each one sounds a little bit different. Not different from the original- duh, that’s a given. This link, from NOLA, sounds a little bit different than the version I heard in DC. In DC, all the covers sounded just a little bit sadder, a little bit more soulful. Only Dax Riggs could turn an Irish folk song into a tragically beautiful hymn.
It was a good mix of covers and his original stuff. The crowd was kind of odd- I know a lot of people are obsessed with Dax- he’s got quite the cult following- but a lot of people seemed surprised when he played covers. Only a handful of us (all crowded near the stage) were singing along to the covers. When he did play an original though, everyone started singing along, causing quite a fun ruckus.
I basically died and went to heaven for an hour and a half. If you’re remotely interested in his career post Acid Bath (no, he doesn’t play Bath songs), then it’s worth the $10-15.
No comments:
Post a Comment