I go to a lot of shows. Like, a lot, even when I lived in Florida and there were WAY less tours to go to. Now that I live in the national capitol, I can finally go to shows like I've always wanted. April takes me to at least eight shows. Ten or eleven if my wallet and organs hold out. So far, people have looked at me like I'm insane for hauling out two hours to see Suffocation, Exhumed and friends, but I used to drive four hours each way to shows in Miami, so that was nothing. In fact, I've been to three shows in the last three days.
Oftentimes, the highlights of shows, for me, have little to do with the actual show and more to do with the experiences I have with friends surrounding the actual event, but damn Exhumed and Suffo ruled. Tourmates Jungle Rot and Rings of Saturn were good, if you're into them, it's worth checking out. Exhumed and Suffocation were my main even though. I love Exhumed. I love their music, I enjoy hanging out with them and they're incredibly fun to watch live. As a self-admitted picky live show...snob, I really admire the energy Exhumed brings onstage, even when the crowd is just...meh. They even added a new schtick in their live performance involving reviving guitarist Bud Burke.
I guess people were nervous about Suffocation without Frank Mullen. I think people need to reframe their thoughts and think of it as seeing Suffocation WITH John Gallagher, vocalist of Dying Fetus. I heard the soundcheck, so I already knew it would rip. Gallaher's vocals are deeper and more throaty, so Suff sounded MORE heavy, if that's possible. I saw them at The Note, which was only the third tour date and I think Gallagher was a little nervous. But he was able to poke fun at himself ("Hey guys, I'm doing the hand chop!") Instead of the hand chop, you get the air punch. It worked though. At one point, Hobbs grabbed the mic and explained that Frank couldn't do the tour because of his responsibility to his wife and kids and John was doing them a favor. I don't know if that helped the audience, but it probably made John feel better. Love was in the air though, a ton of people were rocking DF shirts. The setlist was mostly stuff from the new record, but there were some classics too. It's a tour well worth seeing if it comes through your town.
Sunday night took me to Kowloon Walled City and ZoZobra at Ottobar Baltimore. Not nearly enough people were there, but Zozobra brought the place down. Because Orlando is some kind of mecca for stoner/sludge/doom/lowandslow, I've kind of lost patience for that style live. HOWEVER, Zozobra crushed. There's something so wonderful about a 3 piece band that absolutely slays. It's magic and I'm always hooked. Kowloon Walled City were also great, but Zozobra was the surprise for me. I was kind of like the living dead at this show, having only slept for four hours, so my whole memory of it is kind of fuzzy.
Monday night was the highlight for me. Not that I didn't enjoy the other shows, but 100 Minutes of Absu. Now, there are few bands I want to watch for even 30 minutes, but 100 minutes flew by. Proscriptor is one of the most entertaining front men even when he's behind the kit. Vis Crom and Ezuzu rip the whole time and Vis Crom stumbled around as if on some crazy drugs, while playing to perfection. It was really a treat to see them up so closely that I had to duck every time Vis Crom swung his guitar over the audience. I wondered how they'd pull of 100 minutes- that's a lot of intense blasting. The last ~20 minutes or so, Proscriptor came out in a jacket and tasseled boots and sang while his drum tech (Grzesiek, ex-Infernal Stronghold) played drums. Holy shit, there are TWO people that can play drums like that? You're shitting me. Not to mention, everyone in Absu is pretty easy on the eyes. That helps. (Shut up, women like Absu and this is totally pertinent info, alright?)
I figure I'll share my picture from the night, cause I look so happy. I've wanted to meet Absu for 10 years, so this was really my pleasure.
So far, I've been to five shows in the region and met three times as many amazing people. It's like I'm finally home!
This week in jams: MOTHERFUCKING Goatsnake. Specifically, Flower of Disease. I was mega-bummed when they cancelled their MDF performance in 2011 and I let them drop off my radar after that- until a friend mentioned their album. Biggest mistake ever. I can't stop playing the album. Like, it's embedded itself into my skull and I find myself humming it when I'm not listening to it. The guitar tone is perfect and Pete Stahl's voice is divine. There's something especially beautiful about the lyrics too, like "And if my baby is willing, I'll ride to oblivion with her by my side."

No comments:
Post a Comment