![]() |
| Photo by Sleepy Jan |
A man who grinds 24/7 needs no introduction!
The PitGoddess: Cheers Dorian! I hope you had a really great holiday. Do you have any wild New Year’s Eve plans? Are you going to make any New Year’s Resolutions?
Dorian Rainwater: My New Year’s resolution is not to have any more resolutions ever again :D
PG: You are in SO many bands, I can’t even keep track. Tell me a little bit about the projects you are currently involved in.
DR: Oh my god, I can hardly keep track. They are: Noisear, Phobia, Inhabitants, Cara Neir, Paravoid, Fragmented Aura, Astralnomicon…Bands I’ve been in are: Ditheist, Artottured, maybe Grindlink, for touring purposes. I think that’s it, but I may have forgotten some, haha.
PG: You are in SO many bands, I can’t even keep track. Tell me a little bit about the projects you are currently involved in.
DR: Oh my god, I can hardly keep track. They are: Noisear, Phobia, Inhabitants, Cara Neir, Paravoid, Fragmented Aura, Astralnomicon…Bands I’ve been in are: Ditheist, Artottured, maybe Grindlink, for touring purposes. I think that’s it, but I may have forgotten some, haha.
PG: Have you ever been playing a show played a song from another band by mistake? ;) How do you keep everything straight?
DR: We always pre-arrange our set lists before shows to avoid any confusion. Sometimes we will do covers of our other bands for fun.
DR: We always pre-arrange our set lists before shows to avoid any confusion. Sometimes we will do covers of our other bands for fun.
(I forgot to include Enemies of Inertia & Kill the Client on the bands I’ve been a part of, haha.)
PG: Noisear’s Turbulent Resurgence came out this year. I’ve been under a rock this year, so forgive me, but how in the hell did you write and record this monster in just 72 hours?
DR: Noisear has always been written this way. We have known each other so long it really comes naturally from everyone involved. It’s really funny cause we hum out ideas to each other like “wah-wah-jun jun jun wah- wah” and make a riff out of it. Also I have a few ideas laying around at all times from jamming all the time. The rest of our band is the same way…if Fajardo played guitar he would be a sick ass riff-er! Sometimes we make riffs out of noises like a phrase someone says too like HEY DON’T FLUSH THAT! Or getting your fingers jammed playing basketball (the sound you would make).
DR: Noisear has always been written this way. We have known each other so long it really comes naturally from everyone involved. It’s really funny cause we hum out ideas to each other like “wah-wah-jun jun jun wah- wah” and make a riff out of it. Also I have a few ideas laying around at all times from jamming all the time. The rest of our band is the same way…if Fajardo played guitar he would be a sick ass riff-er! Sometimes we make riffs out of noises like a phrase someone says too like HEY DON’T FLUSH THAT! Or getting your fingers jammed playing basketball (the sound you would make).
PG: What kind of response did Turbulent receive? What about Phobia’s Remnants of Filth?
DR: From what I gather, we have received great response on all fronts for both albums. I get flooded with emails all the time. It’s really nice that people go out of the way to let you know how your music touches them and makes quite an impact. I am very stoked that our music gets the reaction we intended it to and people describe the way they feel about it almost verbatim of the way we felt when we were writing it. It’s very cool to know people take the time to experience the music fully and grasp it completely.
DR: From what I gather, we have received great response on all fronts for both albums. I get flooded with emails all the time. It’s really nice that people go out of the way to let you know how your music touches them and makes quite an impact. I am very stoked that our music gets the reaction we intended it to and people describe the way they feel about it almost verbatim of the way we felt when we were writing it. It’s very cool to know people take the time to experience the music fully and grasp it completely.
PG: You’re constantly making new music; I am completely in awe of your output- and the quality of your output. How do you create constantly and not fall into a rut?
DR: I listen to every genre of music and play in different moods and environments to keep a fresh view and aesthetic. If I get in a rut, I put down my notebook or whatever instrument for a day or two, clear my head and come back fresh. It helps to go outdoors and clear your mind too, like hiking on a mountain or walking in a park.
DR: I listen to every genre of music and play in different moods and environments to keep a fresh view and aesthetic. If I get in a rut, I put down my notebook or whatever instrument for a day or two, clear my head and come back fresh. It helps to go outdoors and clear your mind too, like hiking on a mountain or walking in a park.
PG: Noisear also did a split with Department of Corrections from France- what was your experience like? How did that split come to be?
DR: Bryan was on tour with Pretty Little Flower in Europe and they played with DOC. Florian, the guitarist, approached him about this and we all agreed. I choreographed the recording process with Dalton Bryan and Garry in Dallas; that session is where we also recorded the tracks for the 3 way with Antigama and The Kill as well. Then I asked Mitchell to join us on vocals for that as well; he did an awesome job. Arif (Wormrot) was also supposed to be included but was unable to contribute. All in all we are pretty happy with the end result and thinking about releasing the full recording as a full length too… just waiting to see the release of it on the 3 way and we will figure it out.
PG: Phobia and Noisear both deal with society, politics- social sickness. Are there any events or attitudes in particular that fuel these themes?
DR: Every theme Phobia deals with lyrically is Shane’s idea, we help write whenever possible though and tour when needed. It’s great being a part of the Phobia family, so many great musicians and friends have contributed together.
As far as Noisear, we all contribute lyrics and themes ranging from War, Love, Psychology, Society, Abstract, Positive/negative, Space, Insanity, and personal things like relationships, all across the board.
DR: Every theme Phobia deals with lyrically is Shane’s idea, we help write whenever possible though and tour when needed. It’s great being a part of the Phobia family, so many great musicians and friends have contributed together.
As far as Noisear, we all contribute lyrics and themes ranging from War, Love, Psychology, Society, Abstract, Positive/negative, Space, Insanity, and personal things like relationships, all across the board.
![]() |
| Photo by RttP |
PG: So, I heard a whisper about this amazing grind super group called Code/Error- you, Mauro, Danny (Maruta), and Arif (Wormrot). Grinding minds are waiting, you know! ;) When will this come to fruition?!
DR: Code Error was in progress but the idea got scrapped…I don’t know why though. I really wanted to do it :( I recorded my tracks and nothing ever came of it. I don’t know what happened it just disappeared.
DR: Code Error was in progress but the idea got scrapped…I don’t know why though. I really wanted to do it :( I recorded my tracks and nothing ever came of it. I don’t know what happened it just disappeared.
PG: You have a lot of friends in grind places. (Haw!) What are some of your favorite bands featuring friends of yours?
DR: The list is endless, it would take a whole day to say hahaha! But I love each and every one, including YOU! But as for favorites: HUMAN REMAINS, ASSUCK, DISCORDANCE, LETHARGY, GRIDLINK and MARUTA.
DR: The list is endless, it would take a whole day to say hahaha! But I love each and every one, including YOU! But as for favorites: HUMAN REMAINS, ASSUCK, DISCORDANCE, LETHARGY, GRIDLINK and MARUTA.
PG: When you’re not grinding, what do you like to do for fun?
DR: Chilling with my girl, smoking weed, going to the beach, hiking, travelling, reading, watching movies, drawing, skating, cooking, record collecting, stuff like that.
DR: Chilling with my girl, smoking weed, going to the beach, hiking, travelling, reading, watching movies, drawing, skating, cooking, record collecting, stuff like that.
PG: Do you have any plans to do any tours/fests/shows in 2013? How many releases do you think you will play on?
DR: I hope we do lots of shows/tours/releases in 2013! Thank you for doing this interview you and your blog are fucking amazing!
DR: I hope we do lots of shows/tours/releases in 2013! Thank you for doing this interview you and your blog are fucking amazing!


No comments:
Post a Comment