Sunday, August 26, 2012

Brutality on Reuniting: The Time is Right


PG: Cheers Scott!  I hope you’re doing well.  What have you been doing since Brutality called it quits in the 90s?
SR: Just living life, got married now going through a divorce! But I’m good.
PG: Why did you all decide to reunite the band now?  What kind of feedback have you received about the reunion?
SR: We have all wanted to get back together but the time wasn’t right till now and the feedback from fans has been crazy.


PG: What have you been listening to during the hiatus?
SR: I still listen to my old school metal, Black Sabbath, Bathory, Venom, the list goes on!!!!!!!!!!!
PG: What are your plans for the new line up- album, shows, tour?
SR: We are writing new music, repressing Screams and Sky Turns Black and will also release a compilation album this year. Have a few shows we’re interested in playing but for now have no plans to tour.
PG: Any reason you all reunited as the Screams line up, as opposed to a different line up? What about Screams of Anguish in particular do you think helped it stand the test of time?
SR: All of us on Screams just click when we are together the music just flows out naturally. Screams is our master piece that you can listen to over and over year after year and it never seems to sound out of date.

PG: You found a new drummer for the reunion- how did you find the new dude?
SR: We put the word out that we were looking after Jim declined to return and our fans in the scene pointed us in his direction. We had a few sessions with him and he earned his spot in Brutality.
PG: When Brutality originally ended, it was during the height of death metal.  How do you think death metal has evolved since then?
SR: I have not kept up with the death metal scene but for what I have seen is that everyone just wants to see how fast they can go so it doesn’t have any felling to it.
PG: Do you plan to change Brutality’s overall sound?
SR: NO
PG: How has your life changed since then?  Are you a different person now than you were in 1996?
SR: I’ve just gotten older, haven’t changed as a person, just my thoughts about life.
PG:  You’re playing your reunion show in Tampa in October.  It’s been well over a decade since you all last played together.  What kind of expectations do you have for this show?
SR: IT’S GONNA BE BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PG: Scott, you told me a bit about your work with dogs.  Does your work with dogs inform the way you relate to people?
SR: Yes I try to use my gut instincts when I’m around new people if you feel like something is not right chances are it’s not. Dogs use this in their daily lives if they don’t like something they have nothing to do with it or kill it.
PG: I’ve been a Brutality fan for years and I never thought I’d get to see you guys live.  I wish you all the best!  Do you have any last words for Scrapyard readers?
SR: Be looking for the most brutal new death metal ever!!!!!!!! And thanks to all of our fans who have supported us through all the years we would not be here without you. Stay Brutal!

2 comments:

  1. The world needs Brutality! The most underrated of the great Florida death metal bands. "Screams Of Anguish" has always been in my top 5 to 7 death metal albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I'm more of a "when the sky turns black" lady myself, but I love both albums to bits. Being at the reunion was something I truly never saw happening. It was great!

      Delete