Hey! Orlando is doing something relevant again! Our own Vegan Black Metal Chef went viral its first day and has continued to be a success. I've even seen people wearing the shirts (they're funny, go buy one!) If you haven't seen an episode of VBMC yet, it's worth checking out if you're into sustainable living and vegan food, black metal, just want to look up some new recipes or you've ever wondered what a kitchen commissioned by KISS would look like. Regardless of your feelings about veganism and animal rights, this food looks damn tasty.
Check out the episodes here: http://www.youtube.com/user/VeganBlackMetalChef and support/read about vegan living/etc. here: http://veganblackmetalchef.com/.
---------------------
Check out the episodes here: http://www.youtube.com/user/VeganBlackMetalChef and support/read about vegan living/etc. here: http://veganblackmetalchef.com/.
---------------------
The PitGoddess: Hi Vegan Black Metal Chef, where did you get the idea to start the cooking project?
Vegan Black Metal Chef: Well this may sound kinda crazy...but its honestly a lot of what I do throughout my days anyways. I initially wanted to answer the question "What do Vegans Eat?". This question can not be answered with just saying I eat broccoli, chickpeas, bell peppers etc. It has to be answered with whole meal ideas. Since I am very much into cooking, and very much into making black metal...the two naturally fit together for me.
Vegan Black Metal Chef: Well this may sound kinda crazy...but its honestly a lot of what I do throughout my days anyways. I initially wanted to answer the question "What do Vegans Eat?". This question can not be answered with just saying I eat broccoli, chickpeas, bell peppers etc. It has to be answered with whole meal ideas. Since I am very much into cooking, and very much into making black metal...the two naturally fit together for me.
Imagine if you were a meat eater and had to describe what you eat to people that have no concept of what a hamburger or a hot dog or fucking anything was. You would have to go into incredible detail to get people to understand what you are talking about let alone make it sound appealing to them. I wanted to just say "watch the videos."
PG: So you wanted to explain Veganism to an audience that shies away from it?
VBMC: Well either one that shies away from it or people just wanting to learn how to make really good food. I kinda pride myself on eating incredibly awesome tasting food. I have always felt that most food places in general and most people eat only mediocre food. This would help raise the bar on peoples eating in general. People think that vegans just eat salad. I can count on one hand the amount of times in a year that I eat salad for a whole meal. On one hand it introduces veganism and great food in general from people who shy away from both. It introduces metal to people that may shy away from that. In the end I just hope to teach people how to make awesome food, listen to awesome music, and bring a bit more consciousness to my own and others lives.
VBMC: Well either one that shies away from it or people just wanting to learn how to make really good food. I kinda pride myself on eating incredibly awesome tasting food. I have always felt that most food places in general and most people eat only mediocre food. This would help raise the bar on peoples eating in general. People think that vegans just eat salad. I can count on one hand the amount of times in a year that I eat salad for a whole meal. On one hand it introduces veganism and great food in general from people who shy away from both. It introduces metal to people that may shy away from that. In the end I just hope to teach people how to make awesome food, listen to awesome music, and bring a bit more consciousness to my own and others lives.
PG: How do you feel about people that say being vegan isn't metal or veganism isn't "manly?"
VBMC: I feel that they can fuck off.
VBMC: I feel that they can fuck off.
PG: Haha, so for you, the two don't need to be rectified in any way?
VBMC: No point in trying to talk to them, I don't need to prove my "metal" or "manly" card to anyone. If they like it and want to learn something it’s there, if not.... well shit in this world is not for everyone. This is no exception. If it’s not for you, then I could give a damn if you watch, listen, or enjoy it at all.
VBMC: No point in trying to talk to them, I don't need to prove my "metal" or "manly" card to anyone. If they like it and want to learn something it’s there, if not.... well shit in this world is not for everyone. This is no exception. If it’s not for you, then I could give a damn if you watch, listen, or enjoy it at all.
PG: What's your favorite vegan recipe?
VBMC: Hahahah a lot of people seem to ask me this, but I don't really have a single favorite food. I enjoy all food that is made exceptionally well. Whatever my body feels like eating at that time, that is made incredibly well is my favorite.
VBMC: Hahahah a lot of people seem to ask me this, but I don't really have a single favorite food. I enjoy all food that is made exceptionally well. Whatever my body feels like eating at that time, that is made incredibly well is my favorite.
PG: Were you surprised at the instant popularity of VBMC?
VBMC: Yes, It was an awesome humbling experience that the first video went viral and the other 2 have remained popular...especially for an actual cooking show. There is definitely comedy in there, but it’s not just a broad comedy show that everyone in the world would enjoy. People probably would have to enjoy either the cooking aspect or the metal aspect to watch more than one of these. Or they would have to enjoy just learning something new in general. The episodes are fairly long because at its heart it’s an in depth cooking show that will teach you every aspect to make awesome vegan food.
VBMC: Yes, It was an awesome humbling experience that the first video went viral and the other 2 have remained popular...especially for an actual cooking show. There is definitely comedy in there, but it’s not just a broad comedy show that everyone in the world would enjoy. People probably would have to enjoy either the cooking aspect or the metal aspect to watch more than one of these. Or they would have to enjoy just learning something new in general. The episodes are fairly long because at its heart it’s an in depth cooking show that will teach you every aspect to make awesome vegan food.
PG: And you write all the music? Care to elaborate on the process?
VBMC: Sure, yes I write/record all of the music for this. Basically I will shoot the video for the episode, edit it down, then write the music. I am not using a bunch of premade songs that I already have, everything kinda happens spontaneously. It has taught me a lot about not freaking out over each and every little part of a song when it is not really so important. Usually it takes me a month to write 2 or 3 songs stressing over every little part... with these I write all parts to 3 songs in about 5 days to a week because it has to go kinda fast. I would spend forever on a single episode otherwise.
VBMC: Sure, yes I write/record all of the music for this. Basically I will shoot the video for the episode, edit it down, then write the music. I am not using a bunch of premade songs that I already have, everything kinda happens spontaneously. It has taught me a lot about not freaking out over each and every little part of a song when it is not really so important. Usually it takes me a month to write 2 or 3 songs stressing over every little part... with these I write all parts to 3 songs in about 5 days to a week because it has to go kinda fast. I would spend forever on a single episode otherwise.
PG: Are you currently working on other musical projects?
VBMC: Yes I currently have 2 bands. 1) an Industrial Symphonic Black Metal project where I write all of the material called Forever Dawn. and 2) An eclectic metal band called Fields of Glass where I play keyboards and do some backing vocals for. Both are writing and recording new material at the moment and making a new stage show. Both should be ready to play out again by the end of 2011.
VBMC: Yes I currently have 2 bands. 1) an Industrial Symphonic Black Metal project where I write all of the material called Forever Dawn. and 2) An eclectic metal band called Fields of Glass where I play keyboards and do some backing vocals for. Both are writing and recording new material at the moment and making a new stage show. Both should be ready to play out again by the end of 2011.
PG: What does the VBMC listen to in his free time?
VBMC: All sorts of shit really. I could name a silly long list of various black and other metal bands... but I also listen to a huge variety of stuff including industrial/EBM music, and what I call the "epic" station on winamp. It’s a station called Radio Rivendell that plays just epic music all the time. That is my normal "working or writing" music.
PG: What are your future plans for VBMC?
VMBC: Well, way more videos of course. I have to change things up to keep it interesting for me so this next one will have several new surprises. I hope to integrate a way to have various guests on the videos in the future. I am writing a "cookbook" but of course it will not just be the recipes ad nauseum style of cookbook that is the norm. Other than that we will see how things evolve. My main future plan is to just keep on making informative shit that people enjoy in a variety of ways.
VBMC: All sorts of shit really. I could name a silly long list of various black and other metal bands... but I also listen to a huge variety of stuff including industrial/EBM music, and what I call the "epic" station on winamp. It’s a station called Radio Rivendell that plays just epic music all the time. That is my normal "working or writing" music.
PG: What are your future plans for VBMC?
VMBC: Well, way more videos of course. I have to change things up to keep it interesting for me so this next one will have several new surprises. I hope to integrate a way to have various guests on the videos in the future. I am writing a "cookbook" but of course it will not just be the recipes ad nauseum style of cookbook that is the norm. Other than that we will see how things evolve. My main future plan is to just keep on making informative shit that people enjoy in a variety of ways.
PG: If you wanted the viewers of VBMC to take away one thing, what would that be?
VBMC: The one thing I would want VBMC viewers to take away is just bringing consciousness to your lives and actions. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place. Little by little if people (myself included) keep bringing attention to the consequences of their actions, there might just be hope for this world. Even though this is not directly hit at a lot in the videos yet... I write about it quite a bit on my blog veganblackmetachef.com and in the "why vegan" section of that site.
VBMC: The one thing I would want VBMC viewers to take away is just bringing consciousness to your lives and actions. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place. Little by little if people (myself included) keep bringing attention to the consequences of their actions, there might just be hope for this world. Even though this is not directly hit at a lot in the videos yet... I write about it quite a bit on my blog veganblackmetachef.com and in the "why vegan" section of that site.
PG: Where can people see your videos and upcoming plans?
VBMC: No prob, Go to veganblackmetalchef.com for the blog and forum. Other than that, when youtube subscription service actually works, it may inform you of new episodes.
VBMC: No prob, Go to veganblackmetalchef.com for the blog and forum. Other than that, when youtube subscription service actually works, it may inform you of new episodes.

No comments:
Post a Comment