Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Review of 2011- Legion of the Damned's Descent into Chaos



Not this Legion of the Damned.
First album of 2011?  My first review in any case.  I was quite glad to see these Dutch dudes get some press a while back, after I saw them overseas and enjoyed their live performance.  I imagine (my memory is a little…lager-influenced) this would be a rockin’ band to see live, but Descent into Chaos didn’t…well, descend far enough. 

After getting all pumped from the Lord of the Rings/Gladiator-eqsue intro, I expected the whole album to rip- one long fucking blast beat, punishingly fast and evil.  It did neither of those things.  Track 1, Night of the Sabbath, caught my attention with the echo-y backing vocals, which I am a shameless sucker for, but overall, not a lot caught my attention.  Descent is forward moving, but it drags in places, if that makes sense.  At times, the riffing and drums are not interesting enough to keep my attention, but there’s some good ideas there.  Just not enough of them.   Listening to Lord of the Flies, I think I have figured out why I liked them live- if you’re drunk, or under some other influence, this would be an awesome easy thing to headbang and play air guitar to.  

I’d give this album a 6.5/10 Flying Dutchmen.  Solid album. Something to have to put on shuffle/a work-out mix/a bonfire CD, or whatever else you people do, but it’s not an album to sit through.  Also, needs more guitar solossss!

Album out: 7 Jan 2011.
Touring with Katakylsm
Massacre Records

No comments:

Post a Comment